PDA

View Full Version : USA & World Economics

Pages : 1 [2]

Esten
06-07-14, 17:19
As usual, you are on auto-pilot when it comes to Obama.

The home grown killing rampages around the country have me far more worried.Americans are FAR more likely to get killed by an American with a gun, than by the Taliban 5.

Stay safe Punter.

Punter 127
06-08-14, 01:38
Americans are FAR more likely to get killed by an American with a gun, than by the Taliban 5.

Stay safe Punter.Perhaps your statement is true if you're talking about the average Joe and you're limiting it to these five, but did you forget that American servicemen are also Americans?

The problem is the message sent out by this swap is far reaching and encourages terrorist groups world wide. Lets not forget terrorist killed nearly 3000 people in one fell swoop on 9-11. What American with a gun compares with that?

Do you or "ol Rev" really want to open the gun debate again? I suspect not and I'm fairly sure the other readers don't want it either, but if you insist I'm available.

BTW as I've told you before I will not be dictated to on what news outlets I watch or read, and that also applies to who I quote. Not that I have to justify anything to you, but I quoted Col. West because of his military experience and I only post his statements that I agreed with or seemed logical. Just for the record I do NOT support any attempt to impeach Obama, at least not at this time.

Oh rest assured, I know very well how to take care of myself, but deals like this swap make it harder and harder to stay safe. Anybody that thinks Americans traveling abroad are not more of a target now is kidding himself or in some cases just blowing smoke. IMHO.

Note to "ol Rev"; I'm not on auto anything, I view Obama just like I view Col. West which is on a issue by issue bases, if I agree with them I say so, if I don't agree I say that as well. You should give it a try it gives one a real sense of freedom and is much better than being an ass sniffing, boot licking lap dog. (that's just an expression...)

Punter 127
06-08-14, 02:08
Bob, The Taliban were a project of the Pakistani intelligence service / army and Saudi money that got out of control. They were supported only by part of the Pashtun population. They fought with and persecuted other ethnic groups, and even other Pashtuns. Characterizing them as freedom fighters fighting off foreigners invading their country doesn't make sense. Comparing them to American Christian fundamentalists is crazy. The Taliban systematically massacred and starved people. They sold women into sex slavery, and beat, suppressed and stoned them.Wow talk about being spot on, I totally agree. I'm also sure Bobs' remarks about the Taliban and Christians was offensive to both groups. Perhaps he should consider some sensitivity training. You know the goal of sensitivity training is to make people more aware of their own prejudices and more sensitive to others. Maybe ElAlamoPalermo and "ol Rev" could tag along as well, I think we can all agree they need it.

However, while I usually believe Punter's analysis is spot on, my position on USA involvement in Afghanistan is probably closer to yours than his. We should have done like Bush Senior did in Iraq. Force them to turn over Osama bin Laden and other Al Qaeda leaders, decimate Al Qaeda's bases, and then leave. Instead, Bush Jr. And Obama stayed on and tried to nation build. This has resulted in loss of life, goodwill, and lots of the taxpayers' hard earned money. and for Bob to play down the Al QaedaThanks Tiny, but I think we're on the same page here. I believe exactly as you do, and the time for us to leave Afghanistan has long since come and gone.

What I don't understand is why Democrats with similar views to mine continue to defend Obama on his policies in Afghanistan. Why have we been there for 12 years now? MANY more Americans have died in Afghanistan under Obama's watch than Bush's. Democrats seem to mindlessly support their man, no matter what his positions. While Obama is not as corrupt as Edwin Edwards, the prominent Louisiana Democrat governor who was re-elected even though everyone knew he was crooked, there's an analogy. As long as you buy off people with free money, they're going to vote for you unless you're caught in bed with a live boy or a dead girl. Your abilities, common sense and position on the issues won't matter, as your supporters will brainwash themselves to believe you're always right.Hear Hear! Well said.

Rev BS
06-08-14, 07:35
You should give it a try it gives one a real sense of freedom and is much better than being an ass sniffing, boot licking lap dog. (that's just an expression...)You have this great gift of such expressive comebacks. Such a great Texan tradition. That is why I enjoy you so much.

Punter 127
06-08-14, 07:52
LOL

You have this great gift of such expressive comebacks. Such a great Texan tradition. That is why I enjoy you so much.Thanks, it's almost wizard like, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Rockin Bob
06-09-14, 17:49
Bob, The Taliban were a project of the Pakistani intelligence service / army and Saudi money that got out of control. They were supported only by part of the Pashtun population. They fought with and persecuted other ethnic groups, and even other Pashtuns. Characterizing them as freedom fighters fighting off foreigners invading their country doesn't make sense. Comparing them to American Christian fundamentalists is crazy. The Taliban systematically massacred and starved people. They sold women into sex slavery, and beat, suppressed and stoned them.
Not good people the Taliban! The airport attack yesterday is just one more example of their tactics.

My real point is that there is all sorts of turmoil in the Middle East and for the United States to get involved in any of it is just plain stupid and counterproductive. Let the Arabs do their thing. Leave them alone and they will work out a solution. Which seems to be being ruled by a ruthless dictator who keeps a lid on everything. I don't know, I don't care, it's their problem.

It's Chinatown, Jake. Do as little as possible because whatever you do just makes things worse.

Afghanistan. How'd that work out for the Soviet Union? And now here the USA is in decade two of this war. Is there some sort of mission to accomplish? I mean, Hitler needed three weeks to do in Poland, and had a good chunk of Europe under control in a year or two. We have the most powerful military in the world. Can somebody define a clear objective, accomplish it, and leave?

As for my comparison of the Taliban with the Christians, today I read that a recent Gallup poll showed 42% of Americans believe "God created humans in their present form 10,000 years ago. " At least as far as idiocy goes, we're right up there with the Taliban.

Rev BS
06-29-14, 03:23
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/29/world/europe/despite-high-unemployment-portugal-looks-far-afield-for-workers.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpSumSmallMediaHigh&module=s

So the Thais, amongst others, are happy to pick up. the slack. Not unlike the migrant farm workers in America. But the pay with overtime is somewhat misleading, grossing around $1,440 a month. Right now, a good maid in Bangkok runs around $1,000-1,200 and even more if they have some nursing skills/speaks English, etc plus free food & lodgings.

Rev BS
06-30-14, 12:22
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/29/world/europe/despite-high-unemployment-portugal-looks-far-afield-for-workers.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpSumSmallMediaHigh&module=s

So the Thais, amongst others, are happy to pick up. the slack. Not unlike the migrant farm workers in America. But the pay with overtime is somewhat misleading, grossing around $1,440 a month. Right now, a good maid in Bangkok runs around $1,000-1,200 and even more if they have some nursing skills/speaks English, etc plus free food & lodgings.A good maid makes around 12,000 baht, equivalent to about 400 dollars. So yeah, big difference, that $1,440 that they earn in Portugal.

Rev BS
07-07-14, 08:50
For years, I was kind of hesitant about proclaiming my love of doing nothing to others. Even as a early riser, 3 or 4 am, it seems that the hours could fly by before it is 10 or 11 am. Not exactly nothing, I listen to music or read, do some correspondence, pay some bills, even doze here and there, all in bed. Accompany by coffee and a variety of breakfast stuff. Well, I do have tennis most mornings, so I saddled the horse around 7. 30 and play till 10 and then shoot the breeze and lunch after that. And then more of the same in the afternoon because of my aching muscles, with a massage session here and there. So was happy to receive this validation from Forbes on my proclivity.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insead/2014/07/01/the-importance-of-doing-nothing/2/

Yes, I know what they are suggesting is not quite the same thing. But I do know that the American frazzled lifestyle is not only unhealthy, it is a killer especially of relationships & family life. The USA did not evolve into the greatest economy in the world with lazy / dreamy people, but today, the endless need of buying and consuming in terms of self-indulgence and status will only end in a trail of self destruction.

Disclaimer: It does not mean that I'm more happy or successful than you are.

Rev BS
07-15-14, 19:21
http://dianefrancis.com/new-york-post-chinese-real-estate-invasion/

http://www.nick-folkes.com/2014/04/16/is-the-asian-invasion-real/

As China undergoes new political & economic reforms, the miracle Chinese wealth class are rethinking their investment & relocation strategies. Ah so, perhaps now I can eat at the neighborhood noodle & dumpling shop instead of the hamburger joint?

Jackson
07-16-14, 14:17
...the endless need of buying and consuming in terms of self-indulgence and status will only end in a trail of self destruction.This sounds like something right out of the Communist Manifesto.

However, it is in fact bullshit.

The reality is that humans like to surround themselves with physical things that add to their comfort and otherwise enrich their lives, including houses in which to live comfortably, cars to propel them about the surface of the planet, clothing to protect them from the elements, food to provide nutrition, electronics to communicate with the other humans and to deliver entertainment, etc., etc., etc., the accumulation of which will NOT "end in a trail of self destruction".

Thanks,

Jackson

Rev BS
07-16-14, 21:15
This sounds like something right out of the Communist Manifesto.

However, it is in fact bullshit.

The reality is that humans like to surround themselves with physical things that add to their comfort and otherwise enrich their lives, including houses in which to live comfortably, cars to propel them about the surface of the planet, clothing to protect them from the elements, food to provide nutrition, electronics to communicate with the other humans and to deliver entertainment, etc., etc., etc., the accumulation of which will NOT "end in a trail of self destruction".

Thanks,

Jacksonhttp://business.financialpost.com/2013/07/16/why-money-issues-still-ruin-marriages/

Everybody wants to live well, everybody wants to provide for their family the best they can. It is call aspiration. This is not what I am at issue with.

But we are seeing the inability to save, the instant gratification promoted by financial & business practices, the irrationality of impulse and status buying, the stress of keeping up socially & financially, and the packed garages that forced the cars out on the driveway. That is what I mean about the frenzy & frazzled American lifestyle today. For the most part, control by mass media. I know of many people & families with good incomes who are saddled with debt. For no other real reason, except they have just drifted along with everybody else and buying into convenience and comfort in their everyday existence. Waste in America is quite revolting.

And for the first time, living better than their parents is wishful thinking for millions of young Americans.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2013/06/12/every-generation-better-than-one-before-gen-x-could-buck-trend/

That's all for now, comrade!

Rev BS
07-17-14, 08:41
http://www.mercer.com/newsroom/cost-of-living-survey.html

#86 Buenos Aires.

#88 Bangkok.

If you discount #1 Luanda, Angola and #2 N'Djamena, Chad for obvious reasons (out of the major business cities loop), it is Hong Kong for #1. Followed by Singapore, Zurich, Geneva, Tokyo, Bern, Moscow, Shanghai, Beijing, London. This is a study aim at expatriates whose needs are quite different from the local population. So take that into consideration.

Gandolf50
07-17-14, 10:19
They must be using INDEC's data because Buenos Aires should be much higher on that list!

Rev BS
07-28-14, 02:39
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2014/07/27/is-the-fed-fueling-a-giant-stock-market-bubble/13172261/

The Dow keeps climbing. It has been very nice for me. But sometimes, you kind of wonder what is really going on. Since the beginning of the year, I've been thinking of retreating to the sidelines, wait for the eventual downturn, then climb aboard again. But then, I'm not really a hit & run guy. Anybody else in the same boat?

Dccpa
07-28-14, 10:39
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2014/07/27/is-the-fed-fueling-a-giant-stock-market-bubble/13172261/

The Dow keeps climbing. It has been very nice for me. But sometimes, you kind of wonder what is really going on. Since the beginning of the year, I've been thinking of retreating to the sidelines, wait for the eventual downturn, then climb aboard again. But then, I'm not really a hit & run guy. Anybody else in the same boat?My philosophy for over a year is that the market would be propped up through the mid term elections in November. If the stock market tanks any time soon, Democrats have no chance to hold the Senate and take over the House. So until election time, no real correction will take place. After that, no clue.

Rev BS
08-05-14, 21:46
Yeah, that's right, It's from the NY Times. Throw it in the trash. We don't want to know.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/06/upshot/alarm-on-income-inequality-from-a-mainstream-source.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpSum&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Tiny12
08-06-14, 01:10
Reverend, Respectfully, the people likely to be throwing that in the trash are on the left. The root causes of the problem are technology and globalization. The people at S&P rightly point out that education is the solution. Politicians on the left, at the local, state and federal levels, must start standing up to the teacher's unions and improve the quality of schools. Easy-to-get, government-subsidized loans for liberal arts educations, which have enabled universities to raise tuition to ridiculous levels, should be eliminated. Students should be encouraged to learn skills that they can actually use and to undertake marketable trades and professions. There is a correlation between childhood poverty and success later in life. Republicans and Democrats should give more consideration to helping poor children, instead of subsidizing seniors who are already wealthier than everyone else.

I'm not sure whether it's S&P or the NYT reporter that contends our problem is too much savings / investment and not enough consumption. But I suspect both you and I would agree that's a load of crap. The USA has a big problem in that there's not enough savings. We're depending on China and other countries to pay for investment in our country. We consume more than we produce. Savings is a huge problem for the middle class. Someday people are going to retire, intending to rely on social security, and discover nothing's there.

Rev BS
08-06-14, 18:17
Reverend, Respectfully, the people likely to be throwing that in the trash are on the left. The root causes of the problem are technology and globalization. The people at S&P rightly point out that education is the solution. Politicians on the left, at the local, state and federal levels, must start standing up to the teacher's unions and improve the quality of schools. Easy-to-get, government-subsidized loans for liberal arts educations, which have enabled universities to raise tuition to ridiculous levels, should be eliminated. Students should be encouraged to learn skills that they can actually use and to undertake marketable trades and professions. There is a correlation between childhood poverty and success later in life. Republicans and Democrats should give more consideration to helping poor children, instead of subsidizing seniors who are already wealthier than everyone else.

I'm not sure whether it's S&P or the NYT reporter that contends our problem is too much savings / investment and not enough consumption. But I suspect both you and I would agree that's a load of crap. The USA has a big problem in that there's not enough savings. We're depending on China and other countries to pay for investment in our country. We consume more than we produce. Savings is a huge problem for the middle class. Someday people are going to retire, intending to rely on social security, and discover nothing's there.You made some good points, we are not in total disagreement.

Big Banks & Big Multi-Nationals are the Empire Seekers of today. They are not beholden to any government. In third world countries, they are the government.

Obama has NOT been able to escape the patronage of the American election system. But in ObamaCare and Frank-Dodds, he has shown he is willing to rectify some imbalances, yet he has been vilified for them. Why? You don't think the educational loans have not been corrupted and exploited by the loan sharks. And now we are hearing of the sub-prime loans in the auto buying industry. Corruption like poverty is never ending. As I said before, it has been made legal in the US. And some of you seem to like it.

The US was dominant because of its middle class. The decline of the middle class is a part of the evolution of the world economy. There are many ways in which the government can stymie that decline, but we cannot do it because we are dysfunctional. Blanket opposition to Obama is the story here. Going to be 8 years of babbling and shouting. So silly!

As stated before, look in the mirror, and what do you see?

Member #4112
08-06-14, 18:41
Rev, the government and Frank Dodd are two of the reasons the middle class is shrinking. Get the government out of the student loan and education business. If you have to give loans make them only to the HARD SCIENCES, ENGINEERING, ect. The types of degrees which are applicable to doing something and everyone doesn't need to go college what about the trade schools, we need people who can build and repair what the sciences and engineering folks come up with.

Rev BS
08-06-14, 19:10
Rev, the government and Frank Dodd are two of the reasons the middle class is shrinking. Get the government out of the student loan and education business. If you have to give loans make them only to the HARD SCIENCES, ENGINEERING, ect. The types of degrees which are applicable to doing something and everyone doesn't need to go college what about the trade schools, we need people who can build and repair what the sciences and engineering folks come up with.From A Chinaman's Chance by Eric Liu.

"American culture now has an excess of individualism, short term thinking, and prioritizing rights over duties".

Would you rather be on American Idol, or go study engineering at Purdue? Ah, a million dollar question. In the 70's, when I was playing basketball in LA, we play with some Chinese gang members. At least 50% were going to Cal State LA, about a 10 minute drive from Chinatown. Of course, some were hard-core.

Rockin Bob
08-06-14, 22:11
Yeah, that's right, It's from the NY Times. Throw it in the trash. We don't want to know.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/06/upshot/alarm-on-income-inequality-from-a-mainstream-source.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpSum&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0Let me see: throw it in the trash because it's the NYTimes.

The article itself is about a report from economists at Standard and Poor's, hardly a left leaning institution.

Standard and Poor's is a pretty well established mainstream economic research firm. I for one would like to read what they say.

Good idea to throw it in the trash, Rev, you might learn something that would challenge a belief or something.

Rockin Bob
08-06-14, 22:20
Easy-to-get, government-subsidized loans for liberal arts educations, which have enabled universities to raise tuition to ridiculous levels, should be eliminated. Students should be encouraged to learn skills that they can actually use and to undertake marketable trades and professions.Right on. The last thing we need is people who can think, people who have some broader understanding of the world, of history, of culture. We need trained, docile employees who can be relied on to not make waves, show up on time, and do what they're told.

Dickhead
08-06-14, 23:56
subsidizing seniors who are already wealthier than everyone else.The only senior subsidy I can think of at the federal level is the additional personal exemption of $1200. A maximum value of about $475 a year and much less for most folks. OK, I suppose there are discounts on admissions to national parks but that could just be savvy pricing and not a subsidy. Big deal. Medicare certainly isn't a subsidy. Social Security (OASDI) is an anti-subsidy; its return diminishes the more years you work and thus with age. Other subsidies exist at the local level or are provided by private industry. Here some of the discounts or subsidies I get for being old:

1) My city, and most cities around here, charge non-residents more to use the facilities. These people never took cost accounting and have no concept of break-even point. But, I found a neighboring city that not only charges residents and non-residents the same, but gives a senior discount at age 55 vs. My city's age 62. $18 a month. Not surprisingly, the neighboring city does a healthy business while my city's facility is underutilized. However, the facility I use is not overcrowded during the hours I go there.

2) My state provides numerous silly discounts and few of them are means-tested. There is a $20,000 pension exclusion starting the year you turn 55 and then it goes to $24,000 at 65. Social Security, IRA withdrawals, IRA conversions, annuities, traditional pensions, etc. All qualify. There is a scheme whereby if you are 65 and low income (but could have assets out the ying yang), you never have to pay your property tax during your lifetime. It just creates a lienhold to be paid on sale or death. There is a similar scheme for utility bills but that one is means-tested.

3) 50% off on our transit system but it sucks so much it's not worth mentioning. I think this kicks in at 62 but it might be 65.

4) Albertson's gives 10% off the first Wednesday of the month at age 55 and they don't check I'd. Kohl's has a discount day that starts at 55 too.

5) AARP has the cheapest car rental rates. Check it out.

Now Tiny, you are ignoring an important point. Yes, seniors have lower poverty rates than the other two age brackets BUT they have a lot less opportunity to improve their situation! So looking at youth poverty vs. Senior poverty might not be as important as following the poverty rate for 19-64. That could be a better economic indicator. I think rather than being subsidies, a lot of these are marketing ploys.

Tiny12
08-07-14, 00:19
Obama has NOT been able to escape the patronage of the American election system. But in ObamaCare and Frank-Dodds, he has shown he is willing to rectify some imbalances, yet he has been vilified for them. Why?Because he's not very competent. Universal health care is very important. Taking health care costs from 16% to 20% of GDP without improving outcomes is not a good approach to accomplish this. And that's what's going to happen. Obama should have been listening to the guy from Taiwan that testified in front of the Congressional Committee that you provided the video for. Health care there costs 6.6% of GDP and outcomes are similar to the USA. However, instead Obama's creating a monster. Same with Dodd-Frank -- extremely important goals, but wrong approach. Obama, like lawyers in general, comes up with "solutions" that are inefficient and complicated beyond belief.

You don't think the educational loans have not been corrupted and exploited by the loan sharks. And now we are hearing of the sub-prime loans in the auto buying industry. Corruption like poverty is never ending. As I said before, it has been made legal in the US. And some of you seem to like it. The US was dominant because of its middle class. The decline of the middle class is a part of the evolution of the world economy. There are many ways in which the government can stymie that decline, but we cannot do it because we are dysfunctional. As stated before, look in the mirror, and what do you see?I agree with what you wrote above. However, Obama is part of the disease, not the cure.

Right on. The last thing we need is people who can think, people who have some broader understanding of the world, of history, of culture.Right on. We need to educate lots of art history and philosophy majors. Then government can pay them to sit on their asses and do whatever it is that they do.

Rockin Bob
08-07-14, 02:18
Right on. We need to educate lots of art history and philosophy majors. Then government can pay them to sit on their asses and do whatever it is that they do.Think, mostly.

They inspire other men to act. Like say Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, who apply ideas into political movements, say. Tom Paine, who wrote pamphlets to rouse the colonists to action. George Washington, who led an army and fought for these ideas. The USA was born in a Revolution based on new ideas, that people had a right to self government, not depending on the whims of monarchs. Freedom. Liberty. Even hear those words? Just two centuries ago the western world was ruled by monarchs and the Catholic church.

Ideas change the face of the world.

Nowadays, nobody cares about thinking. That's why everybody is regressing back to being serfs. The Bill of Rights is nothing more than a piece of paper. Freedom and democracy just words.

Slaves used to fight to be free. Now, free men fight to be slaves. They go in debt up their eyeballs to get a marketable skill so they can get worked to death and still live at home with their parents. If they're lucky.

I really love The Big Lebowski.

LEBOWSKI.

My wife is not the issue here. I hope that my wife will someday learn to live on her allowance, which is ample, but if she doesn't, sir, that will be her problem, not mine, just as your rug is your problem, just as every bum's lot in life is his own responsibility regardless of whom he chooses to blame. I didn't blame anyone for the loss of my legs, some chinaman in Korea took them from me but I went out and achieved anyway. I can't solve your problems, sir, only you can.

Let's keep those Little Lebowski Urban Achievers coming, folks!

Rev BS
08-07-14, 05:41
Because he's not very competent. Universal health care is very important. Taking health care costs from 16% to 20% of GDP without improving outcomes is not a good approach to accomplish this. And that's what's going to happen. Obama should have been listening to the guy from Taiwan that testified in front of the Congressional Committee that you provided the video for. Health care there costs 6.6% of GDP and outcomes are similar to the USA. However, instead Obama's creating a monster. Same with Dodd-Frank -- extremely important goals, but wrong approach. Obama, like lawyers in general, comes up with "solutions" that are inefficient and complicated beyond belief.

I agree with what you wrote above. However, Obama is part of the disease, not the cure.

Right on. We need to educate lots of art history and philosophy majors. Then government can pay them to sit on their asses and do whatever it is that they do.You are the only member of the "Gang that Cannot Shoot Straight" to acknowledge that Universal Healthcare and Dodd-Frank are important. The rest of the gang usually dismiss them as Marxist ideas.

I think you and I have the potential to solve all of America's ills. I know the perfect location, too. Food, massage, hot tubs and FS are available when we need a break or two.

Tiny12
08-07-14, 16:10
You are the only member of the "Gang that Cannot Shoot Straight" to acknowledge that Universal Healthcare and Dodd-Frank are important. The rest of the gang usually dismiss them as Marxist ideas.

I think you and I have the potential to solve all of America's ills. I know the perfect location, too. Food, massage, hot tubs and FS are available when we need a break or two.Reverend, Please be realistic. While we could get enebriated to the point where we believed we could solve America's ills, we wouldn't have the power to get that done. Actually I'd consider Obama and Reid to the be the current heads of the "Gang that Can't Shoot Straight" club. My heroes are straight shooters -- Ronald Reagan, Margaret Thatcher, Lee Kuan Yew. My models for health care are Singapore and Hong Kong, which include private sector providers and hospitals, allow consumers a choice, and allow the free market to operate (outside of the public hospitals). And produce outcomes better than the USA at far lower costs. Democrats and Republicans played a big part in screwing up the financial system. Dodd Frank isn't a good solution. Instead it's better to have simple, effective rules and get regulators that do their jobs. And never bail out shareholders or bondholders of financial companies.

Rev BS
08-07-14, 18:57
Reverend, Please be realistic. While we could get enebriated to the point where we believed we could solve America's ills, we wouldn't have the power to get that done. Actually I'd consider Obama and Reid to the be the current heads of the "Gang that Can't Shoot Straight" club. My heroes are straight shooters -- Ronald Reagan, Margaret Thatcher, Lee Kuan Yew. My models for health care are Singapore and Hong Kong, which include private sector providers and hospitals, allow consumers a choice, and allow the free market to operate (outside of the public hospitals). And produce outcomes better than the USA at far lower costs. Democrats and Republicans played a big part in screwing up the financial system. Dodd Frank isn't a good solution. Instead it's better to have simple, effective rules and get regulators that do their jobs. And never bail out shareholders or bondholders of financial companies.Sometimes, we take ourselves far too seriously. My tongue in cheek comments were meant to say that my contribution to any solutions in community & life only reaches to the people that I come into contact with on a daily routine basis. And within this small circle, that I practice the golden rule. Nothing more than that.

Nobody and no party can claim to have the perfect solution / answer. Life in general is a series of pragmatic compromises. You win some, and you lose some. You cannot blame Obama for any significant failure if you fail to come to the table. Obama's youth and surprise nomination & victory meant that he had a uphill battle within the Democratic leadership, let alone the screaming rejection & hate from across the aisle. As in the AP forum. You all deny this? A magic wand does NOT Obama have.

Today, America looks very different than 50 years ago, and 50 years from now, it will be very different again. So can we say that we have a more cut-throat culture / society today? Why and who have contributed to all this? The rise of corporate culture in the last 3-4 decades into our homes and daily lives. Frenzy and getting more frenzy. That's the way it is. I am no fan of this lifestyle. Mental health, already the next explosion. I cannot keep up with all these new disorders.

The leaders you attributed are rare. They are leaders who have the long view, and they view community / nation over the individual. Yes, they did. It might be a surprise to some people who approve of them.

Rev BS
08-10-14, 00:01
http://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/la-fg-israel-displaced-20140809-story.html

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-0810-bird-gaza-israel-20140810-story.htmlll

Nobody will give in. The never ending self destructive nature of mankind.

Jackson
08-10-14, 14:01
You cannot blame Obama for any significant failure if you fail to come to the table.Obama is the one who failed to come to the table.

Obama's youth and surprise nomination & victory meant that he had a uphill battle within the Democratic leadership, let alone the screaming rejection & hate from across the aisle"Obama's youth and surprise nomination & victory" is just another way of saying that he skated his way into the White House without ever demonstrating that he possessed even a modicum level of executive management skills.

His subsequent inability to deal with the "uphill battle within the Democratic leadership" clearily demonstrated that he did not and does not have the leadership skills for the job.

Jax.

Jackson
08-10-14, 14:14
Nobody will give in.Bullshit.

The Palestinians could have peace tomorrow if they stop firing missiles into their neighboring country.

It's that simple.

Thanks,

Jax.

Rev BS
08-10-14, 20:13
Obama is the one who failed to come to the table.

"Obama's youth and surprise nomination & victory" is just another way of saying that he skated his way into the White House without ever demonstrating that he possessed even a modicum level of executive management skills.

His subsequent inability to deal with the "uphill battle within the Democratic leadership" clearily demonstrated that he did not and does not have the leadership skills for the job.

Jax.You remind me of some tennis players whose calls are always in their favor whenever it is a close call. Right, they insist they can see better from across the court when you are standing right where the ball drop.

Rockin Bob
08-11-14, 16:51
Bullshit.

The Palestinians could have peace tomorrow if they stop firing missiles into their neighboring country.

It's that simple.

Thanks,

Jax.And you know, Jackson, all them Arabs would have peace tomorrow if they would just give up idolatry and accept Jesus Christ as their personal savior.

It's that simple!

Jackson
08-11-14, 17:46
And you know, Jackson, all them Arabs would have peace tomorrow if they would just give up idolatry and accept Jesus Christ as their personal savior.

It's that simple!RB, that's ridiculous.

I don't believe anyone has suggested that the Palestinians "give up idolatry and accept Jesus Christ as their personal savior.", but perhaps you might post a link quoting the source of this statement.

In the mean time, do you have a problem understanding that the Palestinians have been firing rockets from the Gaza strip into populated neighborhoods of Israeli?

How do you justify that?

If you were Israeli, what would you do? Surrender?

Curious minds want to know.

Thanks,

Jax.

Rockin Bob
08-11-14, 19:10
RB, that's ridiculous.

I don't believe anyone has suggested that the Palestinians "give up idolatry and accept Jesus Christ as their personal savior.", but perhaps you might post a link quoting the source of this statement.

In the mean time, do you have a problem understanding that the Palestinians have been firing rockets from the Gaza strip into populated neighborhoods of Israeli?

How do you justify that?

Thanks,

Jax.I suggested it. I wasn't quoting anyone.

Ah, the Israel-Palestine question. Ain't going to go there, Jackson. I can only deal with objective facts and logical reasoning and when you are dealing with the Israel Palestine problem, facts and reason have no place.

Rev BS
08-11-14, 21:34
RB, that's ridiculous.

How do you justify that?

Thanks,

Jax.And they reply, you took our land, and you kick us out. And on, and on, and on, it goes. In the end, it's the problem of not wanting to share, like everything else in life.

By the way, what is the latest on the Hatfields and the McCoys? Have not heard too much lately. They all can/t be dead? New generation, new thinking?

Big Boss Man
08-11-14, 22:40
Written 25 years ago, it is a spy novel but it has good insight about American, Israelis, and Palestinian relationships. To paraphrase a key concluding paragraph: Israelis are like the wife and Arabs are like the mistress. Americans always return to the wife.

The novel supposedly is base on the life of Robert Ames who is the subject of recently published biography.

http://www.amazon.com/Agents-Innocence-Novel-David-Ignatius/dp/0393317382/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407803812&sr=1-1&keywords=agents+of+innocence.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Spy-Life-Death-Robert/dp/0307889750/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407803846&sr=1-1&keywords=the+good+spy+the+life+and+death+of+robert+ames.

Rev BS
08-12-14, 02:15
Written 25 years ago, it is a spy novel but it has good insight about American, Israelis, and Palestinian relationships. To paraphrase a key concluding paragraph: Israelis are like the wife and Arabs are like the mistress. Americans always return to the wife.

The novel supposedly is base on the life of Robert Ames who is the subject of recently published biography.

http://www.amazon.com/Agents-Innocence-Novel-David-Ignatius/dp/0393317382/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407803812&sr=1-1&keywords=agents+of+innocence.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Spy-Life-Death-Robert/dp/0307889750/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407803846&sr=1-1&keywords=the+good+spy+the+life+and+death+of+robert+ames.For up to date perspective & policies on the Middle East, David Ignatius writes almost daily for the Washington Post. I believe he was their Middle East Bureau Chief for a long time. Agents of Innocence was one of his first novel, he has had several more exciting novels, all of them of Middle East based.

Rev BS
08-13-14, 10:35
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/dana-milbank-americans-optimism-is-dying/2014/08/12/f81808d8-224c-11e4-8593-da634b334390_story.html?hpid=z2

Well, what do you know. In 1967, I left Singapore for the United States for further studies. The future of Singapore was definitely uncertain. This October, my grand-nephew will be coming to Bangkok from the US to look for a job. He has a BA and has been scrambling for the last 5/6 years. Change and more changes a-coming.

Big Boss Man
08-26-14, 00:47
I have expressed the opinion in this thread that Presidents don't matter much to the economy. Out comes research that supports my opinion. One of the authors is Mark Watson who was a grad student teaching assistant where I went to college. I spent many hours in his office before midterms and finals learning statistics.

http://www.realclearmarkets.com/articles/2014/08/25/do_dems_run_the_economy_better_nope_101241.html

Samuelson obviously disagrees with Watson's and Binders's conclusion.

The argument that Presidents do matter to the economy reminds me of the "great man" theory of history. I am more an adherent of each person taking individual action which, if enough of them head in the same direction, creates history. Leaders need to individuals to make a choice to follow.

The greatest book on this subject in my ken is not academic but fiction. "War and Peace" by Tolstoy. Of course you need a whole summer to read it and who has that much time.

Rev BS
09-10-14, 07:09
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/09/opinion/joe-nocera-inversion-delusion.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=c-column-top-span-region&region=c-column-top-span-region&WT.nav=c-column-top-span-region&_r=0

Read it and take it with some alka-seltzer.

On a smaller scale, I was trying to book a hotel room in Sydney on Expedia. Because I had also purchased a flight from them, they were offering me special hotel prices for the same dates. But I had only 7 days to take advantage of the offer.

Guess what? After 7 days, prices for the same hotels were offered at lower rates for the same dates to any Tom, Dick, and Osama.

Dccpa
09-10-14, 16:56
And they reply, you took our land, and you kick us out. And on, and on, and on, it goes. In the end, it's the problem of not wanting to share, like everything else in life.

By the way, what is the latest on the Hatfields and the McCoys? Have not heard too much lately. They all can/t be dead? New generation, new thinking?Both sides took Esten's advice and applied for government treatment as oppressed minorities. Their combined properties are now free from all taxation and they are using government grants to build the Fuedin, Gamblin and Drinkin Casino & Hotel.

Tiny12
09-12-14, 01:17
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/09/opinion/joe-nocera-inversion-delusion.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=c-column-top-span-region&region=c-column-top-span-region&WT.nav=c-column-top-span-region&_r=0

Read it and take it with some alka-seltzer.This article is absolutely bizarre. The writer recognizes that $2 trillion is parked overseas in subsidiaries of USA companies, never to return because of the USA Tax code. So what's his solution? Maybe change the system so they don't pay tax when they bring the money back to the USA to invest, grow the economy, and create jobs? Hell no! The solution is to keep the money locked outside the USA forever.

Interesting though. I appreciate your contributing that Reverend. The USC law professor points out that foreign companies can loan money to USA subsidiaries without creating taxable income, except for the interest received by the parent. But if a USA company borrows from a foreign subsidiary, the entire amount of the loan is taxable*. And that's a large part of what drives inversions. There are easy fixes that would simplify the tax code, help grow the economy, and actually increase the amount of taxes paid by corporations. They won't happen though, because of the desire of some politicians, mostly Democrats, to screw the corporations.

*This is an example of "Subpart F" income, reported on IRS Form 5471. It's incredibly difficult to calculate, and an example of how truly fucked up the USA tax code is. Congressmen and Jack Lew should be forced at gunpoint to fill in a Form 5471 and calculate tax owed as a result of loans from a foreign subsidiary to a USA parent. They would quickly become advocates for tax simplification.

Rev BS
09-17-14, 12:31
Can anybody tell me how Elon Musk was able to seduce Wall Street and made electrical cars sexy. When all I hear on AP is "drill, baby, drill" and lots of laughter.

Dccpa
09-17-14, 13:43
Can anybody tell me how Elon Musk was able to seduce Wall Street and made electrical cars sexy. When all I hear on AP is "drill, baby, drill" and lots of laughter.Hollywood's liberal elite want them because that proves they are politically correct. Cool people wanting them makes the cars cool too.

All sources of energy are needed, so there is no choice between drill baby drill and electrical cars. We just need to stop subsidizing certain types of energy and let profit seekers figure out how to make renewable energy products that can compete with hydrocarbon energy.

Dickhead
09-17-14, 14:05
We just need to stop subsidizing certain types of energyAnd stop using the tax code to subsidize certain types of lifestyles, such as marriage, homeownership, and children. But the good news is, the last tobacco subsidies go out next month. And the funny thing is, the few US tobacco growers who remain after the shakeout are (wait for it): profitable on their own!.

Good luck trying to wean our Latin friends from subsidies, though. It's like mothers' milk to them.

Rev BS
09-17-14, 22:02
Should I clean out the shoe boxes and invest in Alibaba? Can the average Joe get even close enough to have a sniff?

Tiny12
09-18-14, 20:14
Depends on whether you view shares as pieces of paper like Esten, or actual ownership in a business, as I do. There's probably a quick buck to be made if you are allocated shares in the IPO and sell shortly thereafter. As to being a long term holder, this company is scary. It's a Cayman Islands holding company whose legal ownership of Chinese businesses is tenuous. Some of the businesses are owned through Jack Ma, the CEO, and not directly by Alibaba. I had the unfortunate experience of being a shareholder in a company with a similar structure. The insiders sucked the money out of the parent, stole the chops (company seals) of the Chinese subsidiaries, and then made off with the Chinese assets. Minority shareholders were left with paper. Hey, maybe Esten is right.

While this is a little like comparing a whale to minnows, other Chinese public companies that have their main listing in markets besides China and Hong Kong have been fools' plays. Alibaba chose to list in the USA because they couldn't get the Hong Kong or Chinese stock exchanges to agree to their crooked voting structure, where insiders will be able to control the company with a minority ownership position.

Rev BS
09-18-14, 22:00
It is hours before the results of the referendum is released, what will it be? The astronomical high turn out to vote can only mean one result, independence of Scotland. Of course, I have been wrong many times.

Changes, evolution, nothing can stop history. Look out, Spain! How will the USA look like in 50 years?

Punter 127
09-19-14, 03:02
The astronomical high turn out to vote can only mean one result, independence of Scotland. [snip]

Is that egg I see on your face? ROFLMAO.

Rev BS
09-19-14, 12:33
Is that egg I see on your face? ROFLMAO.No egg on my face, but than I am American, I am incapable of shame. It was a very close call, and Cameron had to mortgage his wife to salvage the vote. But I was happy that I could help you have your moment of triumph. I remember shaking hands with you in Pattaya about the election in 2012, but somehow we forgot to decide on the bet. And I also forgot to needle you on that.

Punter 127
09-20-14, 06:08
Sure looks like egg to me.

No egg on my face, but than I am American, I am incapable of shame. It was a very close call, and Cameron had to mortgage his wife to salvage the vote.Surely you knew of Camerons actions before you proclaimed the "independence of Scotland" as the only possible outcome because of the "astronomical high turn out".

It's amazing how rash statements have a way of coming back to haunt you.

Just for the record Flexible Horn predicted this outcome months ago, and he was spot on.

Rev BS
09-20-14, 11:24
Sure looks like egg to me.

Surely you knew of Camerons actions before you proclaimed the "independence of Scotland" as the only possible outcome because of the "astronomical high turn out".

It's amazing how rash statements have a way of coming back to haunt you.

Just for the record Flexible Horn predicted this outcome months ago, and he was spot on.I am glad I can make your day! Kudos to Flexible Horn, a very deserving fellow.

And so what, if I am the king of rash statements!

Riina
09-20-14, 13:25
Should I clean out the shoe boxes and invest in Alibaba? Can the average Joe get even close enough to have a sniff?For the average Joe, that's a terrible investment based completely on speculation. Might as well just go to the casino.

Rev BS
09-20-14, 14:09
For the average Joe, that's a terrible investment based completely on speculation. Might as well just go to the casino.I just thought that since I missed out on Google, that I might as well go double or nothing.

Dickhead
09-20-14, 14:31
For the average Joe, that's a terrible investment based completely on speculation. Might as well just go to the casino.Well, they are not really similar because at the casino, the rules are clearly stated and all customers are treated equally. With IPOs, not so much.

Esten
09-20-14, 18:50
Wall Streeters with good connections were able to buy at 68 and sell at 94. Instant 38% profit.

Billions more flowed into the coffers of the 1%.

It's all good, Conservatives who promote free market capitalism tell us these profits will soon trickle down, and we'll all be better off.

Rev BS
09-20-14, 19:03
Wall Streeters with good connections were able to buy at 68 and sell at 94. Instant 38% profit.

It's all good, Conservatives who promote free market capitalism tell us these profits will soon trickle down, and we'll all be better off.Left standing out in the pouring rain & peeping through the windows.

Jackson
09-20-14, 20:30

It's all good, Conservatives who promote free market capitalism tell us these profits will soon trickle down, and we'll all be better off.Hey Esten,

So fucking what?

Did any of this make you any poorer?

Did any of this make anyone any poorer?

Then what's your complaint?

Oh, I get it, you just don't like that somebody else made some money.

Thanks,

Jax.

Tiny12
09-20-14, 20:50

It's all good, Conservatives who promote free market capitalism tell us these profits will soon trickle down, and we'll all be better off.Socialists who denigrate free market capitalism believe that the private sector can grow out of thin air, without investment. Thus it's reasonable to suck as many tax dollars as you can from businesses, and spend the money on government and transfer payments.

Read the press. Jack Ma and others spent nine hours figuring out how to allocate the shares, and they ended up mostly in the hands of mutual funds who they believed were likely to be long term holders of the stock.

Jackson
09-20-14, 20:55
Socialists who denigrate free market capitalism believe that the private sector can grow out of thin air, without investment. Thus it's reasonable to suck as many tax dollars as you can from businesses, and spend the money on government and transfer payments.Capitalism has raised more people out of poverty that any other economic system in the history of the human race.

Thank you,

Jackson.

Tiny12
09-20-14, 21:06
Capitalism has raised more people out of poverty that any other economic system in the history of the human race.

Thank you,

Jackson.You don't go far enough. Communism, socialism, feudalism, economic fascism, and all other systems have been disastrous for people, except for those in government who ruled over the countries.

Dickhead
09-20-14, 21:17
You don't go far enough. Communism, socialism, feudalism, economic fascism, and all other systems have been disastrous for people, except for those in government who ruled over the countries.Hmm. Denmark, a socialist country, has the highest self-reported life satisfaction of any country. Norway and Sweden score high as well. Switzerland's economy is highly socialized and they always score high on these types of polls, too.

Now feudalism, that was a pretty sucky system. Droit du seigneur in particular would have been a bummer for the common man. I would say that Argentina under CFK is practicing a type of economic fascism, albeit ineptly.

Tiny12
09-20-14, 21:45
Hmm. Denmark, a socialist country, has the highest self-reported life satisfaction of any country. Norway and Sweden score high as well. Switzerland's economy is highly socialized and they always score high on these types of polls, too.

Now feudalism, that was a pretty sucky system. Droit du seigneur in particular would have been a bummer for the common man. I would say that Argentina under CFK is practicing a type of economic fascism, albeit ineptly.I stand by what I wrote. If you define socialism as "a social and economic system characterised by social ownership of the means of production and co-operative management of the economy" then your examples don't fit. In other words, those countries have capitalist systems. Not only that, but they arguably milk the private sector less than the USA. This is from KPMG's table of corporate tax rates:

Denmark 24.5%.

Norway 27%.

Sweden 22%.

Switzerland 18%.

USA 40%.

Socialism has been such an abject failure that the only remaining "pure" examples I can think of are Cuba and North Korea.

That said, I am wrong in implying Esten is a socialist, in the mold of Fidel Castro or Kim Jong Un. However, his statement that companies shouldn't be allowed to raise capital by selling stock was too good to pass up.

Dickhead
09-20-14, 22:07
I stand by what I wrote. If you define socialism as "a social and economic system characterised by social ownership of the means of production and co-operative management of the economy" then your examples don't fit. In other words, those countries have capitalist systems. Not only that, but they arguably milk the private sector less than the USA. This is from KPMG's table of corporate tax rates:
The corporate tax is a fiction, as I've explained to you in particular, so the rates make zero difference and measure nothing. Sorry about that!

Tiny12
09-21-14, 01:17
The corporate tax is a fiction, as I've explained to you in particular, so the rates make zero difference and measure nothing. Sorry about that!After reading the paper by the Berkeley professor I agreed with you, that there should be no corporate income tax. However, there is no way politicians are going to pass up the opportunity to tax something that doesn't vote.

Eliminating the tax would be the best choice. Since that's not going to happen, lower rates, elimination of special treatment for certain special interests, simplification, and making it where the tax system doesn't discourage companies from bringing profits back to the USA are all very desirable. The USA has the highest marginal corporate rate in the developed world.

Is the corporate tax on Walmart and its competitors a fiction? Hell no, and it hurts the poor and middle class.

Dickhead
09-21-14, 01:53
And as we know, the corporate tax in the US isn't a big % of total revenue. It's about 1/8 of all tax revenue and obviously a smaller percentage of overall revenue. If I thought the corporate tax was in any way relevant other than as a nuisance and time and money waster, I'd probably be upset that this percentage has been declining over time. Regarding the tax on Wal-Mart, who pays it? Answer: Wal-Mart shareholders and Wal-Mart customers. The customers might be poor but the shareholders aren't. Which group pays what percentage? The excess burden of a tax falls mostly on the seller in a highly competitive, commodity-oriented market like Wal-Mart operates in. That means the burden of the tax falls mainly on the (rich) shareholders. Similarly, I don't think it's accurate to say that corporations don't vote. Corporations are merely an amalgamation of their shareholders (which is precisely why the corporate tax makes no sense), who vote (or could vote but being largely American probably don't, since our voter turnout is a disgrace).

Here's an interesting piece on Canada's experience with cutting the corporate tax rate. Didn't do shit.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/toby-sanger/corporate-tax-cuts_b_5844710.html

But hey, a corporate income tax is not nearly as stupid as an export duty like Argentina put on beef. Now that is way stupid.

HotRod11
09-21-14, 04:15
Dickhead are you saying we should drop the corporate income tax or leave it as it is.

HotRod11
09-21-14, 04:24
I think I understand your last post. Who suffers from corp taxs? The investors that make a profit on increased sales. DUH. A invested makes an investment and if the company does well the investor is rewarded. With that reward that investor pays a tax. So what is wrong with that?

Dickhead
09-21-14, 12:02
Did I say there was anything wrong with it? I'm apolitical when it comes to economics. I'm just saying, all this talk about the corporate tax is much ado about nothing. The corporate tax is not important except that it's a cost-consuming, time-wasting nuisance. "The accountants' full employment act," is what we used to call the corporate tax. So yes, I am saying we should drop the corporate tax but I don't bother actually saying it since, as Tiny points out, it will never happen because the citizenry as a whole is unable to understand the economic principles involved and gets caught up in emotion and rhetoric.

In theory, I would say the ideal tax strategy would be a continuously progressive personal income tax rate (Obamacare uses a continuously progressive rate to calculate the subsidy) rather than brackets, no itemized deductions (works fine in the UK), no sales taxes because they are regressive, and municipal taxes based primarily on real and personal property. In actual fact, they can create whatever system they want and I will then attempt to fuck the snot out of it like I am doing now. And, my ability to fuck the current tax system is due to its insistence on discriminating among different types of income; I. E. , taxing dividends differently than interest income and so forth. I've also spent lots of time studying the tax system, so as to know exactly how to fuck it. My state government paid for me to learn how to fuck the federal government, so that is a nice touch as well.

I do not favor progressive taxation for moral reasons but rather because it's more effective. Lower income people have a higher marginal propensity to spend the next dollar received, so that increases the velocity of the money supply. That enables the country to function with a smaller money supply. The smaller the money supply, the more proportionate effect a given dollar amount of monetary stimulus or tightening will have. I'm not morally in favor of the estate tax either, but it is designed to increase the alienability or turnover of capital, rather than money; the basic principle is the same, velocity. Re-distribution of income and wealth increases turnover of money and capital and, all else equal, higher turnover leads to higher growth.

Esten
09-21-14, 13:24
That said, I am wrong in implying Esten is a socialist, in the mold of Fidel Castro or Kim Jong Un. However, his statement that companies shouldn't be allowed to raise capital by selling stock was too good to pass up.Tiny's statement is typical of right wingers who don't understand or can't refute arguments from the left. He lies. I never said companies shouldn't be allowed to raise capital by selling stock.

Lying, distortion and mis-characterization are staples of right wing politics and their media outlets.

Esten
09-21-14, 13:36
Hey Esten,

So fucking what?

Oh, I get it, you just don't like that somebody else made some money.No, you don't get it Jackson. The Alibaba IPO is one aspect of many of an economic system that is increasingly dominated by large corporations (some call it Corporatism). It is largely controlled by wealthy interests looking to make themselves richer, not to create jobs or help the broad economy. Well-funded corporations gradually out-muscle and displace small businesses, or acquire them, and the wealthy interests exert control on these corporations to extract profits. These profits do indeed come at the expense of others, in the form of layoffs, understaffing, and stagnant wage growth. These profits in turn are used in subsequent financial "investments", parking cash in more dividend-paying companies and instant profit IPO deals.

I don't have a problem with people making money. I have a problem with an economic system in which prosperity is shared so unequally.

Tiny12
09-21-14, 14:14
Regarding the tax on Wal-Mart, who pays it? Answer: Wal-Mart shareholders and Wal-Mart customers. The customers might be poor but the shareholders aren't. Which group pays what percentage? The excess burden of a tax falls mostly on the seller in a highly competitive, commodity-oriented market like Wal-Mart operates in. That means the burden of the tax falls mainly on the (rich) shareholders. I think you've got that backwards. In a business where you have to shave pennies to compete, the excess burden is more likely to fall on customers and employees. Or look at it in terms of the dividend payout ratio. Walmart's has increased through the years, from 10% to 38%, although the 38% may be an outlier. In any event, in recent years, about 30% of profits have been distributed to shareholders. The other 70% have gone back into the business. I'd argue that part that goes back into the business largely benefits customers and employees. And income taxes reduce retained earnings, used to grow the business, as well as profits distributed as dividends.

Of course Esten would argue otherwise. If a company like Walmart invests to grow the business, that's not benefiting anyone except the rich shareholders, whose dividends by the way account for about 1. 2% of the sales of the company.

Tiny's statement is typical of right wingers who don't understand or can't refute arguments from the left. He lies. I never said companies shouldn't be allowed to raise capital by selling stock.

Lying, distortion and mis-characterization are staples of right wing politics and their media outlets.So exactly what were you saying Esten? Alibaba sold shares. You said that's a bad thing. I think I understand though. It's okay if people buy and sell shares in a business, just so long as they don't make a profit.

Tiny12
09-21-14, 14:25
No, you don't get it Jackson. The Alibaba IPO is one aspect of many of an economic system that is increasingly dominated by large corporations (some call it Corporatism). It is largely controlled by wealthy interests looking to make themselves richer, not to create jobs or help the broad economy. Well-funded corporations gradually out-muscle and displace small businesses, or acquire them, and the wealthy interests exert control on these corporations to extract profits. These profits do indeed come at the expense of others, in the form of layoffs, understaffing, and stagnant wage growth. These profits in turn are used in subsequent financial "investments", parking cash in more dividend-paying companies and instant profit IPO deals.

I don't have a problem with people making money. I have a problem with an economic system in which prosperity is shared so unequally.What's the solution? Have the government take over the corporations? Then government could make sure there are no layoffs and that companies are overstaffed. Low productivity - that's the ticket. And then government could grow wages much faster than inflation. Government could could get rid of those evil dividends and IPO's. In doing that you could make sure crappy companies with low returns will hold onto all their cash, and conversely keep promising new companies from raising funds through public offerings.

Member #4112
09-21-14, 15:30
Tiny, I think they did that already in a little place once called the USSR and it was a resounding failure.

I'm sure Esten will find some twisted, tortured exercise in creative thinking to prove this wrong somehow.

Dickhead
09-21-14, 20:09
I think you've got that backwards. In a business where you have to shave pennies to compete, the excess burden is more likely to fall on customers and employees. Or look at it in terms of the dividend payout ratio. Walmart's has increased through the years, from 10% to 38%, although the 38% may be an outlier. In any event, in recent years, about 30% of profits have been distributed to shareholders. The other 70% have gone back into the business. I'd argue that part that goes back into the business largely benefits customers and employees. And income taxes reduce retained earnings, used to grow the business, as well as profits distributed as dividends.The dividend payout ratio is irrelevant as long as dividends and capital gains are taxed at the same rate (see Modigliani and Miller, who won a Nobel Prize demonstrating this). Typically a firm's payout ratio increases as it matures and has fewer profitable opportunities to expand. That pretty well describes Wal-Mart. Retained earnings can't be used to grow the business. Retained earnings do not represent cash, nor claims on future cash. Retained earnings is merely the excess of credits over debits to the corporation's nominal accounts over its entire life. As far as on whom the excess burden of a tax falls, you can research that on your own.

Tiny12
09-21-14, 21:23
Retained earnings can't be used to grow the business. Retained earnings do not represent cash, nor claims on future cash. Retained earnings is merely the excess of credits over debits to the corporation's nominal accounts over its entire life. Respectfully, your first sentence above is not true. Retained earnings result in an equivalent increase in shareholders equity. They can translate to an increase in cash. Or a decrease in bank debt, or increase in property plant & equipment, or increase in working capital, etc. Just like an increase in borrowings or selling equity, they can and are used to grow the business. If your point is that free cash flow and net income are not the same, then I agree.

Dickhead
09-21-14, 22:03
Respectfully, your first sentence above is not true. Retained earnings result in an equivalent increase in shareholders equity. They can translate to an increase in cash. Or a decrease in bank debt, or increase in property plant & equipment, or increase in working capital, etc. Just like an increase in borrowings or selling equity, they can and are used to grow the business. If your point is that free cash flow and net income are not the same, then I agree.Sorry, no. You cannot pay down bank debt, or any other debt, with retained earnings. You can't buy property, plant, and equipment with retained earnings. Retained earnings neither increase nor decrease working capital. Yes, as retained earnings increase or decrease, so does equity. You can't pay down debt or buy equipment with equity either. My point is that retained earnings is the least meaningful number on most balance sheets, and is not a liquidity concept. Basically, retained earnings is a "plug. " If you don't believe me, you could read the literature on it, but the literature on retained earnings is remarkably boring even by accounting standards. One reason for that is precisely because retained earnings is such a meaningless number.

You're focusing on a lot of the wrong things (corporate tax rates, dividend payout ratios, retained earnings), things that don't affect the overall economy. If corporate rates were lower, individual rates would be higher and vice versa. So, only one system or the other is needed. The difference between borrowing or selling equity, versus increasing retained earnings, is that in the former two cases there is a debit to cash, whereas in the case of an increase in retained earnings, the debit is very seldom to cash even if you collapse the transaction through the operating cycle. Retained earnings is polluted by bullshit like stock dividends and historical cost depreciation. It's not a good number to focus on.

Tiny12
09-21-14, 22:27
From Wikipedia: "Retained earnings refers to the portion of net income of a corporation that is retained by the corporation rather than distributed to shareholders as dividends. " I'm talking about this concept, not the number that appears on a balance sheet. You're getting bogged down in accounting minutiae.

Let me make it simple. If Walmart produces $1 billion in free cash flow, and distributes $300 million in dividends to shareholders, and retains the remaining $700 million in the business, the $700 million can grow the business. Growth in the business means they hire more people, open more stores, have more customers, pay more property and sales taxes, etc. That's good for the economy. The $700 million in undistributed free cash flow, in an intensely competitive business, also provides a margin to cut prices, which is good for shoppers.

If corporate rates were lower, individual rates would be higher and vice versa. So, only one system or the other is needed.

I have no argument with that. It takes an ungodly amount of time and effort for individuals and businesses to comply with the tax code. Doing away with the corporate tax and simplifying the rest of the system would be a good thing.

Where we probably disagree is that I'd like to see the income tax system promoting investment, savings, and debt reduction, while you likely believe it should promote consumption and higher federal government expenditures.

Dickhead
09-21-14, 23:11
Let me make it simple. If Walmart produces $1 billion in free cash flow, and distributes $300 million in dividends to shareholders, and retains the remaining $700 million in the business, the $700 million can grow the business.And if it distributes the whole $1 billion as a dividend, the shareholders receiving the dividend can invest in things with much higher growth potential than Wal-Mart. It's just a management choice, the payout ratio, and retained earnings remains meaningless.

Where we probably disagree is that I'd like to see the income tax system promoting investment, savings, and debt reduction, while you likely believe it should promote consumption and higher federal government expenditures.Mmmm. That's kind of backwards of how I view it. I think that in times of slack demand, higher (any) government expenditures can promote consumption, if done effectively. And, I do believe that reducing government expenditures can brake an overheating economy.

How would you propose to promote debt reduction with the tax structure? Eliminate the interest deduction? Again, if done at the corporate level it would be meaningless, and except for mortgage and investment interest, that was done long ago at the individual level. I bet a lot of people don't even remember that you used to be able to deduct credit card interest, car loan interest, etc. Boy, was that a bad idea! I guess I don't want the tax structure to "promote" anything in particular. I am fine with eliminating the mortgage interest deduction.

The current idea for "promoting investment" is the Section 179 rapid write off. Previously we had accelerated depreciation on real estate. Then there are a lot of bullshit targeted credits that I'm not to enamored of. Those are all pretty feeble, so you could sure make some suggestions there. There are a few provisions now to promote savings, such as the IRA deduction, the retirement contribution credit, 401 and 457 plans, 529 plans, and tax deferral of capital gains.

I'd argue that progressive tax rates give wealthier people an incentive to promptly invest excess funds in some form or another, since dividends are preferentially taxed and capital gains are deferred until sale. The higher the tax rate, the greater should be the motivating effect of the deferral. If you wanted to put bondholders on a more equal footing with equity holders, you could get rid of the OID rules and then people could buy zero coupon bonds and defer taxation until maturity; I would favor that change for fairness.

Dccpa
09-22-14, 11:10
Hey Esten,

So fucking what?

Oh, I get it, you just don't like that somebody else made some money.

Thanks,

Jax.He is also ignoring that most IPO stocks have required holding periods.

http://www.ehow.com/how_12292230_sell-post-ipo-stock.html

In the sense that the brokerage firms do intentionally under price the shares to guarantee themselves a profit, I would agree. But the losers in that case are those shareholders prior to the IPO. And since Esten would consider them greedy, blood sucking parasites, I doubt he is concerned that they experienced less enrichment.

Tiny12
09-22-14, 14:47
Dickhead, You're dancing around the main point. You said benefits of a lower corporate tax rate flow through mostly to the "rich" shareholders. You therefore believe, if there is to be a corporate income tax, that high rates are fine and dandy. All this makes about as much sense as Esten maintaining Alibaba shouldn't raise equity capital by selling shares because he (incorrectly) believes most of the benefit goes to rich Wall Street types. You tax business at high rates and the private sector and the economy suffer, not just the "rich" shareholders. The rest of the world, including the Scandinavian countries and Switzerland that you held up as models in a previous post, learned this lesson and lowered corporate rates. They get it.

To answer your question, a higher percentage of revenues from taxes should be used to pay down government debt.

Dickhead
09-22-14, 15:56
Dickhead, You're dancing around the main point. You said benefits of a lower corporate tax rate flow through mostly to the "rich" shareholders. You therefore believe, if there is to be a corporate income tax, that high rates are fine and dandy. All this makes about as much sense as Esten maintaining Alibaba shouldn't raise equity capital by selling shares because he (incorrectly) believes most of the benefit goes to rich Wall Street types. You tax business at high rates and the private sector and the economy suffer, not just the "rich" shareholders. The rest of the world, including the Scandinavian countries and Switzerland that you held up as models in a previous post, learned this lesson and lowered corporate rates. They get it.

To answer your question, a higher percentage of revenues from taxes should be used to pay down government debt.I never said anything about the benefits of a lower corporate tax rate. The corporate tax, and the corporate tax rate, are irrelevant. I said, and you can research this, that the excess burden of a tax falls on the consumer to the extent their demand is inelastic, and on the corporation and thus the shareholders to the extent demand is elastic. That's all I said. Then I said Wal-Mart looks like an example of a company whose customers are very price sensitive, meaning elastic demand. Then I said that the higher the corporate rate is, the lower the individual rate needs to be, and vice versa. What you just don't understand, even though you say you do, that the corporate tax and the individual tax are one and the same since shareholders and not corporations pay the corporate tax, and since shareholders are either individuals or other entities held by individuals in the long run. Thus high corporate rates are "fine and dandy" if individual rates are lowered as a result. And vice versa.

But remember, I don't favor either high corporate tax rates or low corporate tax rates. I favor the immediate and complete abolition of the corporate income tax, because it's redundant. The overall savings to the economy would be tremendous, and it's these types of gains in efficiency that can truly lead to sustainable growth. It's similar to a productivity increase.

So don't paint me with Esten's brush, because I haven't said any of the same things. Maybe you would like me to be more philosophically opposed to you so the discussion would be more interesting, but I just don't view anything financial in philosophical terms. I am 100% pragmatic about economics and taxation. You could label me a demand-sider or a Keynesian but you can't paint me as advocating high corporate tax rates. I don't, and I haven't.

Esten
09-23-14, 02:20
All this makes about as much sense as Esten maintaining Alibaba shouldn't raise equity capital by selling shares because he (incorrectly) believes most of the benefit goes to rich Wall Street types. Tiny, you can repeat your LIES about me as much as you want, but they're still LIES.

I fully support raising capital by selling shares. However, in IPO deals like this it's easy money for those who get shares, which in most cases are in fact rich Wall Street types. The average Joe didn't have a chance at getting in.

I stand somewhat corrected by Dccpa who notes the holding period, which sometimes (not always) applies. We brought this up before with Twitter. Looking back at TWTR, it never fell below it's IPO price, so everyone who got in made a profit. Again, mostly Wall Street.

Almost all economic gains in recent decades have gone to the top few %. There is something terribly wrong with that. And the cause is free market capitalism. The answer is better regulation of capitalism.

Rev BS
09-23-14, 19:30
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/23/opinion/roger-cohen-truths-of-a-french-village.html

If I could, I always avoid Starbucks but they do have the best locations, so convenience comes into play often. And they do represent a certain standard of product that you can count on, and especially until the last few years, they often was the only provider of a clean western toilet in developing countries. But it all come with a hefty price. The signature "DNA" that defines corporatism.

What's wrong with that? Nothing really. But as you read in this article, it can seep into the social & secular mindset that can define a cultural way of life. Individuals can become "corporate", too in their behavior. How we hate that? Especially when we come across a "corporate" sex provider. Ahh now, you relating now or still lost? Of course, you still have freedom of choice not to indulge, or search deeper into the night for that angel.

So suck it up! I remember a decade plus years ago, when you ask "how much? The answer was "up to you". I smile every time I remember that. A different world, and a definitely better time.

Rev BS
10-01-14, 01:12
The young people of Hong Kong was compelled to go into the streets, acting on the stirrings within their hearts for the kind of future they want for themselves. How will this play out. Stay tune.

The solution is going to require Confucious himself to resurrect and proclaim the edict.

Rev BS
10-04-14, 09:35
If you tune onto CNBC or Bloomberg, you will often catch either Bill Gross or Mohammed El-Erian commenting on economic and political issues. It was a big shock to the investment world when El-Erian walk away from Pimco earlier this year. And last week, Gross saw the writing on the wall, and went into exile.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303636404579393131430361274

And today, Krugman lampoons Gross as a "loser". Not really, I was just trying to be sensational.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/03/opinion/paul-krugman-depression-denial-syndrome.html?action=click&contentCollection=Asia%20Pacific&module=MostEmailed&version=Full&region=Marginalia&src=me&pgtype=article

Big Boss Man
10-04-14, 14:37
If you tune onto CNBC or Bloomberg, you will often catch either Bill Gross or Mohammed El-Erian commenting on economic and political issues. It was a big shock to the investment world when El-Erian walk away from Pimco earlier this year. And last week, Gross saw the writing on the wall, and went into exile.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303636404579393131430361274

And today, Krugman lampoons Gross as a "loser". Not really, I was just trying to be sensational.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/03/opinion/paul-krugman-depression-denial-syndrome.html?action=click&contentCollection=Asia%20Pacific&module=MostEmailed&version=Full&region=Marginalia&src=me&pgtype=articleWe need a new crisis. The last of the fixed income instruments that I bought in 2008-09 time frame was called this week. I was receiving a nice 9. 5% annualized return. I would have been happy to keep that one forever. I do own the Allianz stock and that got whacked from $17.20 to $16 this week. The paper loss was enough to pay for daily sex on my upcoming BA trip.

I read in Barrons today that a 1% loss the first week in October leads to a positive outcome 10 out of 11 times by December 31. Average gain is 7% or so. I usually do not think that the past has much to do with the future but I am willing to be wrong this time.

Daddy Rulz
10-04-14, 22:11
I'm a convert, I believe you guys!

http://www.theonion.com/articles/drunken-ben-bernanke-tells-everyone-at-neighborhoo,21059/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview:1:Default

Rev BS
10-05-14, 07:10
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2014/10/04/wall-st-cheat-sheet-retirement-alternatives/16619583/

Most of Americans are not ready to retire financially. Nothing new. So what can you do? Here are some ways. IMHO, the key is to be healthy and stay healthy. Know your body, be your own doctor. Alas, easier said than done. And be able to enjoy the simple things in life, nature & friendships.

Hollywood124
10-22-14, 18:24
Hello Jackson, WT69 (World Travel 69), Gysell, Evas (Evas Online) TL (Tejano Libre),DR (Daddy Ruiz), all the wonderful ladies of Bueno Aires and everyone else that I forgot to mention!

Just a quick report from California. In Northern California they are using Public shaming to embarrass 'Johns' (men who solicit prostitutes) by putting their Mug Shot (photo taken when arrested) on the internet sites such as Face Book, Twitter, and Instagram etc. So what the police do is dress up a fine-looking lady police cop in a mini-skirt and heels and put her on the corner. When some unsuspecting guy asks, "How Much?" He is arrested for Solicitation of Prostitution. So to add to insult the police post their Mug Shot on the web. Now with all the problems with Gangs, Narco-Traffikers, Illegal Aliens, Islamic Terrorist, and now Ebola don't you think they would spend our tax money on these problems instead of picking on some lonely guy in need of some love? "Damn, Im thinking to myself I got to get the hell out of here! The people here have mental problems!" Maybe its our Puritan background? One day I got to open my own place just like Dr. BJ in Bangkok, Thailand. I think its time for me to Break Out of Sex Prison!

Anyway, I got lucky this year and I have enough airline miles for a free ticket back to EZE (Buenos Aires, Argentina). Yahoo! See you all soon.

Hollywood.

WorldTravel69
10-22-14, 18:41
I watched a special on one of the TV channels about busting the guys in the City.

Hello Jackson, WT69 (World Travel 69), Gysell, Evas (Evas Online) TL (Tejano Libre),DR (Daddy Ruiz), all the wonderful ladies of Bueno Aires and everyone else that I forgot to mention!

Just a quick report from California. In Northern California they are using Public shaming to embarrass Johns (men who solicit prostitutes) by putting their Mug Shot (photo taken when arrested) on the internet sites such as Face Book, Twitter, and Instagram etc. So what the police do is dress up a fine-looking lady police cop in a mini-skirt and heels and put her on the corner. When some unsuspecting guy asks How Much? He is arrested for Solicitation of Prostitution. So to add to insult the police post their Mug Shot on the web. Now with all the problems with Gangs, Narco-Traffikers, Illegal Aliens, Islamic Terrorist, and now Ebola don't you think they would spend our tax money on these problems instead of picking on some lonely guy in need of some love? "Damn, Im thinking to myself I got to get the hell out of here! The people here have mental problems!" Maybe its their Puritan background? One day I got to open my own place just like Dr. BJ in Bangkok, Thailand. I think its time for me to Break Out of Sex Prison!

Anyway, I got lucky this year and I have enough airline miles for a free ticket back to EZE (Buenos Aires, Argentina). Yahoo! See you all soon.

Hollywood.

Rev BS
10-27-14, 17:22
http://rt.com/usa/199807-california-nude-photos-arrestees/

Judges having sex in the chambers, and now, cops? Criminals arresting criminals? What is the population ratio to having criminal records & jail time? All this, with probably the highest number of lawyers in any country in the world!

Jackson
10-27-14, 18:02
http://rt.com/usa/199807-california-nude-photos-arrestees/

Judges having sex in the chambers, and now, cops? Criminals arresting criminals? What is the population ratio to having criminal records & jail time? All this, with probably the highest number of lawyers in any country in the world!Hi,

Perhaps you are unaware that "RT" means "Russia Times", which is a propaganda arm of Putin's Russia government.

Of course, that's why Christina recently announced that Argentina will cooperate with and help launch a Spanish language version of this blatantly biased "news" channel.

However, you discredit yourself personally by quoting Russia Times as a source for anything.

Thanks,

Jax.

Rev BS
10-27-14, 20:39
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/27/california-highway-patrol-officers-accused-stealing-nude-photos-from-female/

http://nypost.com/2014/10/25/cop-stole-arrested-womens-nude-photos-as-game-authorities/

http://www.mercurynews.com/my-town/ci_26804835/chp-chief-says-nude-photo-scandal-limited-dublin

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-chp-chief-nude-photo-scandal-20141027-story.html

And I also thought all this time, you prefer Putin over Obama.

Rev BS
10-30-14, 20:29
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/26/opinion/sunday/the-dangers-of-eating-late-at-night.html

Often, the signature sign of gluttony and an over-indulging lifestyle is a pot-belly aka beer belly. Food portions in America have double or tripled over the last 20 years as we succumb to the food industry's blitzkrieg marketing on our sense of well-being. The advent of fast food to complement our transportation and working habits, the rise of food culture in mass communications, and the "baggy" fashion to suit our waistlines are just some of the signature features that come to mind. Not to mention the health and medical issues.

So, what really is good for you? Do you really have a choice? Of course, we think we do. But how come, overnight, we are addicts? And who are the beneficiaries?

It would be interesting to conclude whether it was just an evolutionary process of free market capitalism or a strategic marketing assault on the human condition. Maybe, it is the same thing.

I apologize for this nonsensical ramblings. Nothing to do in the wee hours, as usual.

Tiny12
11-05-14, 02:58
The dividend payout ratio is irrelevant as long as dividends and capital gains are taxed at the same rate (see Modigliani and Miller, who won a Nobel Prize demonstrating this). Typically a firm's payout ratio increases as it matures and has fewer profitable opportunities to expand. That pretty well describes Wal-Mart. Retained earnings can't be used to grow the business. Retained earnings do not represent cash, nor claims on future cash. Retained earnings is merely the excess of credits over debits to the corporation's nominal accounts over its entire life. As far as on whom the excess burden of a tax falls, you can research that on your own.Modigliani and Miller didn't know their heads from holes in the ground. If the corporate income tax did not exist, whether a company's growth is financed with debt, equity or free cash flow (i.e. RETAINED EARNINGS) would still make a difference in its value to shareholders. Companies with lots of debt go bankrupt. The CEO's of Twitter and Telsa would be idiots if they borrowed money instead of selling equity. Whether management of an unprofitable company distributes free cash flow as dividends or instead invests it in empire building also makes a difference in it's value.

Dickhead
11-05-14, 12:13
If you think retained earnings are cash flow, I just can't help you.

Tiny12
11-05-14, 18:36
If you think retained earnings are cash flow, I just can't help you.Well, I can help you.

Definition of retained earnings, from investopedia: The percentage of net earnings not paid out as dividends, but retained by the company to be reinvested in its core business or to pay debt.

This explains how retained earnings finance growth:
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/pros-cons-financing-expansion-through-retained-earnings-40390.html

This writer, like me, "confuses" retained earnings and cash flow:
http://blogs.wsj.com/cfo/2012/07/17/mid-size-firms-tap-retained-earnings-to-fund-growth/

Modigliani and Miller may have come up with something mathematically elegant, and they may have won Nobel prizes. However the world isn't perfect and so what they came up with is largely bull shit. M&M for example assume that management won't use RETAINED EARNINGS to grow marginally profitable or unprofitable businesses or otherwise pursue their own interests. So, as you say, dividends would be irrelevant if taxed at the same rate as capital gains. Management of companies, however, often prefers to empire build instead of throwing off cash through dividends to shareholders, who could re-invest in more profitable businesses. Also, whether a company finances growth from debt, equity, or RETAINED EARNINGS makes a difference in the value of the enterprise. Read what Klarman, Greenwald, Buffett and Graham write about capital structure, debt in particular, and the desirability of financing growth out of free cash flow (i.e. RETAINED EARNINGS) instead of from debt or by selling shares. While Montier hasn't done as well in the real world as the preceding, he has some choice words about Modigliani and Miller.

M&M are responsible for a fair number of bankruptcies. If all forms of capital are equal in a perfect world with no taxes, then why not load up on debt, given that a company receives a tax deduction for interest payments, but its shareholders pay taxes on dividends? OK, admittedly, that does make some sense, but it's been used too much by investment bankers to convince companies to become overleveraged.

Rev BS
11-10-14, 08:01
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/world/442500/us-china-to-extend-visa-validity-to-boost-trade-tourism

A 10 year visa, thank you very much.

How things have changed! Quite a few people on AP used to mock & ridicule China. I wonder if they would share their feelings today with us.

Rev BS
11-12-14, 06:44
Currency manipulation. My nephew took out 20,000 baht in Bangkok from a Citibank ATM, was hit for around $16 or $19 by Citibank. Not counting the 180 baht ATM fee. Can that be consider a mugging?

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/11/12/british-and-u-s-regulators-fine-big-banks-3-16-billion-in-foreign-exchange-scandal/?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

And there are people still calling for more de-regulation of the banking industry.

Miami Bob
11-15-14, 20:59
Interesting reading. Most economists/political scientists study concentration of wealth, not earned income. Maybe professor dickhead can comment on the differences.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12916499/10/23-countries-where-income-inequality-has-become-the-worst-ever.html

Dickhead
11-15-14, 22:04
Wealth inequality is a superior measure to income inequality, and if you are going to look at income inequality, you need to look at after tax income which they did not. Those Scandanavian countries have high tax rates, so if you look at after tax income, the inequality is much less. Income inequality is less pronounced always and everywhere, and is more volatile. However, if you read the study and not just the article about it, you can see the author of the article is a bit confused because there is very little in the study about income inequality and a whole bunch about wealth inequality.

I thought the best part of the study was Figure 2 on page six. Who would have thought that the ratio of wealth to income would have risen so nicely under a foreign born, communist, anarchist wealth distributing president completely devoid of leadership skills? Just look at the graphs, righties! Oh, and the US produced a 30.8% increase in millionaires in just the past year under the tender stewardship of the mulatto prince. How did that ever happen with his socialistic leanings and job stifling health care plan?

Miami Bob
11-16-14, 05:00
https://publications.credit-suisse.com/tasks/render/file/?fileID=60931FDE-A2D2-F568-B041B58C5EA591A4

The original article. A swiss investment bank issues a warning hidden in the text that the uber high periods of concentration of wealth as compared to the average ratio tends to signal recession/depression. The invisible hand of the marketplace will cause a reversion to the mean or a crash.

Pig get fat and hogs get slaughtered.

WorldTravel69
11-16-14, 13:03
For those who think he was the best President, think again.

http://www.examiner.com/article/8-reasons-why-ronald-reagan-was-the-worst-president-of-our-lifetime

Dickhead
11-16-14, 13:54
It's really funny when the lefties and righties cite their lefty and righty newspapers and TV shows as "proof.".

Tiny12
11-16-14, 15:29
I thought the best part of the study was Figure 2 on page six. Who would have thought that the ratio of wealth to income would have risen so nicely under a foreign born, communist, anarchist wealth distributing president completely devoid of leadership skills? Just look at the graphs, righties! Oh, and the US produced a 30.8% increase in millionaires in just the past year under the tender stewardship of the mulatto prince. How did that ever happen with his socialistic leanings and job stifling health care plan?You're being too harsh on Obama. Just as he wasn't responsible for strength in the stock market and the dollar, he's also not responsible for globalization and technology, which are the primary drivers of increasing inequality. That said, some of his policies have played a part. You've already brought up the effect of Obamacare on employment. There have been large increases in the number of people on social security disability during his administration. And a lower labor force participation rate. In other words Obama and Democrats have a bias towards dependency on government, instead of people working and saving and building wealth. Both parties have encouraged debt over equity with things like the mortgage interest deduction and encouraging people to buy more expensive houses than they can afford, and encouraging banks to loan them the money to do it.

It's great that the number of millionaires has increased 30.8%. A person needs about a million dollars for a comfortable retirement. Unfortunately that's probably a result of fluctuations in the stock market, and not repeatable over a number a years.

Dickhead
11-16-14, 18:15
Both parties have encouraged debt over equity with things like the mortgage interest deduction and encouraging people to buy more expensive houses than they can afford, and encouraging banks to loan them the money to do it.You can add the non-deductibility of dividends to the encouragement of debt over equity. I think we all know deep down that presidential administrations get too much credit when things go right and too much blame when things go wrong. Now might be a good time to go back and review what I posted around the time of the last election about the economic results under Democratic vs. Republican presidential administration. Me, personally, I don't care about policies; I only care about results.

The mortgage interest deduction does a bit more than simply encourage debt versus equity; it helps perpetuate the wealth gap.

Rev BS
11-23-14, 21:12
Purely speculative on my part. I might not be around, then maybe I will.

Instant gratification, the American Way. The Pac-Man, aka the Money Man has arrived. Grabbing, swallowing everything in its path.

But here I sit in Bangkok, the air condition on up to 20 hours a day. What is the solution? Moving to a more breezy locale. Perhaps, escaping the hot season to Cape Town or Bariloche? I don't have any answers, but down the road, a lot of hurt & pain awaits.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/11/23/us/north-dakota-oil-boom-downside.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Rev BS
11-24-14, 12:31
Both parties have encouraged debt over equity with things like the mortgage interest deduction and encouraging people to buy more expensive houses than they can afford, and encouraging banks to loan them the money to do it.http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/14/opinion/a-house-is-not-a-credit-card.html?_r=0

I get your sentiments, but do you really believe the banks need encouragement? How did "instant gratification" come about? There were some evil geniuses at work there.

Rev BS
11-28-14, 04:16
I check it out with the soapies in Bangkok, and they said they never heard of it. So no deals.

Dickhead
11-28-14, 05:20
Here in my tiny nation-state we will be having Green Friday. Our nation-state is awash in tax dollars and running an enormous surplus after four years of a moderate Democratic regime, completely eliminating the deficit that arose under the two previous Republican governors. Obviously this is cause for celebration and our newest fledgling industry, recreational marijuana, is leading the way. Folks will be eschewing Kohl's and its ilk and instead lining up for $50 ounces, $2 "medibles," and similar delights that can be enjoyed by even the most impecunious.

Now what we need to do is establish something similar to the Alaska Permanent Fund, only based on weed and not oil and gas. Think about it: in Alaska they had the Exxon Valdez disaster. Suppose, instead, that the spill had been marijuana. The cleanup could have been handled entirely by volunteers. I was thinking we would have to build a big wall around the state but now that OR and (I forget which other state because I'm kind of baked) have joined up, maybe we won't get overrun.

I predict that very quickly, greed will kick in and our pols will eliminate the distinction between non-residents (can buy and possess .25 oz) vs resident (can buy and possess 1.0 oz). The amendment stated that marijuana should be regulated like alcohol and of course they banned advertising, selling weed related T-shirts, and all kinds of bullshit that goes way beyond how alcohol is regulated. But for sure they do not limit out of staters to a six pack of beer while allowing residents a case, so they have a built-in excuse.

The big unknown, of course, is whether highway fatalities will go up or down. I submit they will go down. It's just straight math. You drive twice as bad when you're stoned, but you're three times as likely not to bother to leave the house, so they should go down by one third. One issue, of course, is you need to wait two to three hours after your last beer or you will blow over the limit for alcohol, but you have to wait two or three weeks before you don't test positive for THC. I think there will be a lot of DWBs (driving while baked) and that will prove lucrative for municipalities, and will be a pain in the ass. I saw some dudes vaping in their car tonight and that is like three times as visually obvious even if it does stink up your car a lot less.

Rev BS
12-15-14, 22:20
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102181913#.

So now the rush to approve the passage of the pipeline goes into the gear as the GOP gains control of Congress. As in Obama rushing ObamaCare! Remember!

Oil prices is pissing down the urinal. And electric transportation are gaining footholds everywhere.

Jackson
12-16-14, 14:28
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102181913#.

So now the rush to approve the passage of the pipeline goes into the gear as the GOP gains control of Congress. As in Obama rushing ObamaCare! Remember!

Oil prices is pissing down the urinal. And electric transportation are gaining footholds everywhere.A. They've been "studying" the Keystone Pipeline for more than 6 years. How nice it would have been if we had benefitted from such a gestation period to consider Obamacare, instead of the 24 hours we were actually given before the bill was rushed to the Senate and House floors.

B. You can't wait until you need energy infrastructure before you start building it, because by then it's too late. We need to start building these assets now so that they're in place and functioning the NEXT time we find ourselves in a position to really need them.

Of course, I'm sure that both of these arguments will be lost on our liberal friends and their LIV sycophants.

Thanks,

Jax.

Rev BS
12-22-14, 21:16
http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-is-the-oil-crash-about-to-snuff-out-the-texas-miracle-20141222-column.html

Maybes yes, maybe no. We shall see.

Rev BS
12-24-14, 03:29
Did not want to start a new thread, so I'll use the platform here and wish everybody a Merry X'mas & Happy New Year. A more jolly group I have yet to meet, full of good cheer & kind intentions. God bless America.

Rev bs.

HotRod11
12-24-14, 03:51
I would like to wish all the members of this site even the ones that have been rude to me, a happy holidays and a very wonderful new year. I use this site often but I must admit after so many nasty replies to my posts I'm reluctant to post. Your right my spelling is bad and my grammer is bad but the point I'm trying to make is what matters. If I misspell something in my post try to skip over that and just think about the point I m trying to make. Not everyone will agree with my openion and they shouldent but lets just discus.

Regards Hotrod11.

HotRod11
12-24-14, 04:07
Several years ago I met my congress man Tod Akins. He was traveling back to DC for a vote on the Schrenable incident. This girl had been declared brain dead by over 20 Florida judges but for some reason the house republicans wonted to shift this to federal jurisdiction. I asked mr Akins why he would travel back to DC and spend so much tax payers money on this unwinnable problem. He said look I am a junior represenative and if your boss -Tom DElay -- calls you and says get your ass on the next flight to DC. What would you do?

Rev BS
01-02-15, 21:22
So why are so many people still angry & unhappy? Is it because most of the jobs that were lost in the Financial crisis are never coming back? It was going to happen anyway because of globalization & technology. The crisis just accelerate the time-line.

Immigrants are coming in the thousands every day. Their will to survive and improve their lives is stoking the fire in America's engine room. Meanwhile, the home-growns are mostly just failing math, smoking pot, playing video games, and watching porn.

Just my un-humbled opinion.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/five-predictions-for-us-economy-in-2015-2014-12-31

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alejandrochafuen/2015/01/01/the-u-s-economy-in-2015-challenges-and-opportunities/2/

Rev BS
01-15-15, 12:39
About the shooting in Paris. Those guys were really pushing the envelope. Not saying they were wrong, but just thinking that they were invincible. A friend of mine crossed the metal barrier to take a picture of a tiger, and got his trousers shredded by the tiger through the bars. I said, what were you thinking?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/01/15/pope-islam-paris-charlo-hebdo/21796053/

BadMan
01-15-15, 16:20
About the shooting in Paris. Those guys were really pushing the envelope. Not saying they were wrong, but just thinking that they were invincible. A friend of mine crossed the metal barrier to take a picture of a tiger, and got his trousers shredded by the tiger through the bars. I said, what were you thinking?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/01/15/pope-islam-paris-charlo-hebdo/21796053/Wrong thread. How is this economics?

BadMan
01-15-15, 20:28
So the EU is getting hammered from multiple orifices today and yesterday and lets be honest, for quite some time. Since it became a protectorate of Germany and a vassal of the US. No independent foreign policy to speak of.

The Euro is down 1:1. 16 tu the USD and down to 1:1. 0 to the CHF. Overnight. Anybody want to comment on the Rouble? .:)...

Russia just told the eu commissioner for " energy union " to pound sand. These pods actually went to Moscow and demanded the following.

1. They wanted Russia to continue subsidizing Ukrainian gas imports for the forseeable future. LOL. This one made me laugh.

2. They wanted all future energy purchases from Russia to happen through the new Eu " energy union ".

3. They wanted Russia to restart the Southstream pipeline project (after the US and the EU did everything to stop it), they wanted Russia to build the infrastructure in Europe to deliver the gas and then they wanted Russia to adhere to the new " third energy package " retroactively even though all the previous Southstream agreements were signed and negotiated way before this third "energy package " was even a twinkle in Frau Merkels eye. BTW this third energy package states that even though Gazprom has to build and service these pipelines, they only get to profit from 50% of its capacity.

Ahahahahahahaha. What are these eurotard muppets smoking over there? Seriously. They actually thought they had leverage or something?

Russia told them.

1. There is no need to extend these one off winter sudsidies to Ukraine since there are already preexisting contracts that encompass future gas prices. And if the EU wants to insure transit through Ukraine they have to pressure Ukraine to uphold current agreements. And if the Kiev neonazis need gas they can't pay for, therefore endangering gas supplies to the EU, its not Russias problem. Oh and yeah since Ukraine is broke, the EU will probably have to pay off Ukraines past energy debts and most likely its future ones as well.

2. The Southstream project is Dead. Long live the southstream project. Russias decision is final. The Eurocrats didn't want it and so they won't get it. Russia will build the pipeline to Turkey and from Turkey to the Greek border ending in a energy distribution hub just before entering eu territory. If the EU wants Russian gas, they have to build their own pipeline infrastructure to connect with this hub and then they can adhere to this " third energy package " all they want. It will be their pipelines on their soil. Ahahahaha. Check and mate.

3. here's the real kicker. Once the " turk stream " pipeline is built, Russia will stop all gas transit through Ukraine. All of it. They will service Ukrainian demand for gas as long as the Ukrainians pay for it in advance. All future purchases of Russian gas must be done through the turk stream or not at all (this excludes preexisting Nordstream and Belarusian pipelines that service most of the north and central parts of europe and account for about 50% of all Russian gas sold to the eu).

Anyone with half a brain saw this coming. You mess with the bull you get the horns. What is little eu going to do? Germany connivingly secured their own gas imports through the Nordstream and then did everything it could to destroy the Southstream project. So much for E unity? I'm betting the central and southern european countries are going to love this.

Put a fork in her fellas. I think the EU is done. Don't forget to hedge accordingly.

Rev BS
01-24-15, 23:34
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/25/opinion/sunday/what-happened-to-the-price-of-oil.html

A nice read on the current oil industry for us ordinary folks. It is a link, so I will await comments from our experts in AP who has far more reliable sources than the NY Times.

Meanwhile, nothing like a long driving vacation in the late spring or early summer in the good ole USA. Any suggestions of great 10-14 day drives, especially in the East and South? Pretty much covered the West & Rockies.

Rev BS
01-26-15, 21:13
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-gop-financial-reform-attack-20150114-story.html

Now that they are a majority in Congress, the GOP is trying to dismantle the Dodd-Frank Law. As if the Financial crisis never happen, these crooks are doing their masters' bidding again. Shameless, unrepentant. Never guilty, that is the signature of American culture today.

WorldTravel69
01-26-15, 21:46
It is funny when the Democrats got 20 million more votes and still lose.

Would that be because of Gerrymandering?

Chezz
01-27-15, 03:51
Anybody want to comment on the Rouble? .:)Sure, I'll take a stab at it: continued devaluation vs both the dollar and the Euro through the end of the year.

Russia just told the eu commissioner for " energy union " to pound sand. Trust me when I tell you, not one EU commissioner lost a second of sleep.

Russia, despite all of it's sabre rattling, is still one very fucked-up country. Anybody with means and opportunity tries to emigrate at their first chance.

The plan that you laid out so eloquently looks good on paper, but Russia is a totally fucked military dictatorship. IF Russia manages to build a pipeline all the way down to Greece without multiple major catastrophes along the way, it won't be during our lifetime. And, of course, it won't be Russians building the pipeline as the average Russian can't build shit. It'll be the same Uzbekistani slaves used to build the newly finished Moscow City Center, but that's another story.

Trust me, Merkel's got the goods on Putin. She sees him for what he is, a sadistic punk with a short-mans complex. The European Union has it's share of problems, no doubt. But they pale in comparison with the multiple crisis Putin is trying to manage at the moment at home. In time you'll find Russia's "horns" aren't that sharp. Can't wait for my summer trip, when the Ruble should right around 80 to the Dollar.

Russia is fucked for life. They've always been fucked, and they always will be.

BadMan
01-29-15, 13:17
Don't ever quote me again. These are 60 seconds of my life I will never get back.

Sure, I'll take a stab at it: continued devaluation vs both the dollar and the Euro through the end of the year.

Trust me when I tell you, not one EU commissioner lost a second of sleep.

Russia, despite all of it's sabre rattling, is still one very fucked-up country. Anybody with means and opportunity tries to emigrate at their first chance.

The plan that you laid out so eloquently looks good on paper, but Russia is a totally fucked military dictatorship. IF Russia manages to build a pipeline all the way down to Greece without multiple major catastrophes along the way, it won't be during our lifetime. And, of course, it won't be Russians building the pipeline as the average Russian can't build shit. It'll be the same Uzbekistani slaves used to build the newly finished Moscow City Center, but that's another story.

Trust me, Merkel's got the goods on Putin. She sees him for what he is, a sadistic punk with a short-mans complex. The European Union has it's share of problems, no doubt. But they pale in comparison with the multiple crisis Putin is trying to manage at the moment at home. In time you'll find Russia's "horns" aren't that sharp. Can't wait for my summer trip, when the Ruble should right around 80 to the Dollar.

Russia is fucked for life. They've always been fucked, and they always will be.

Chezz
01-29-15, 17:42
Then don't ask for opinions on a public forum.

The Russian Ruble will continue to loose value, as it did today and as it did yesterday, until such time as the price of oil stabilizes. I liked what you wrote. But every time Russia gains a bit of political momentum, and their economy starts to rebound, they find a way to screw it up. I lived there long enough to know this.

Don't ever quote me again. These are 60 seconds of my life I will never get back.

BadMan
01-30-15, 00:40
There are too many holes in your off topic reply to even try to begin to correct. Also your rant had nothing to do with the thread title. It just seemed like you were venting about your hate for Russians.

Ill be happy to discuss the actual facts of the south stream and turk stream projects, their geopolitical implications for Europe Eurasia Nato the GCC etc. That, energy politics, and the ongoing currency wars are the most important political topics of this decade.

Non factual subjective emotional rants aren't exactly what I had in mind.

Maybe I should have qualified my statement by saying a " factual knowledge based " opinion or argument.

Chezz
01-30-15, 14:29
There are too many holes in your off topic reply to even try to begin to correct. Also your rant had nothing to do with the thread title. It just seemed like you were venting about your hate for Russians.

Ill be happy to discuss the actual facts of the south stream and turk stream projects, their geopolitical implications for Europe Eurasia Nato the GCC etc. That, energy politics, and the ongoing currency wars are the most important political topics of this decade.

Non factual subjective emotional rants aren't exactly what I had in mind.

Maybe I should have qualified my statement by saying a " factual knowledge based " opinion or argument.With all due respect, in your post you asked people to comment on where they thought the ruble was going, which I did. I won't get into a discussion about whether or not I was off-topic or if I posted in the right or wrong place, as that's just silly. This is the chit-chat section of a mongers message board, and I try not to take what gets posted here too seriously. I gave you my opinion, and that was it. Don't read too much into it -- it's just one man's opinion.

I certainly don't hate Russia. I AM Russian and my history and opinions regarding Russia are way too complicated and personal to post here (other than the sweeping generalizations I made below). Hate is too broad of a statement in any case. I loved (most) of the people I met during the course of my 30 trips there. And though I appreciate your offer to engage in what I'm sure would be a lively discussion of the "south stream and turk stream projects, their geopolitical implications for Europe Eurasia Nato the GCC etc. ", I'm on vacation in this beautifully fucked up city, and I have about a million things I'd rather do. You obviously know your shit, and I respect you for that. But engaging with you on an academic level would take way too much time / energy. And that's a dig on me, as I was the one who quoted a two week old post. I'd rather just let it go. Peace!

BadMan
01-30-15, 15:39
First of all. This thread is USA & world economics. So that is what I'm trying to discuss. Second of all the rouble comment was rather tongue-in-cheek. I didn't expect anyone to bite. I'd discuss it but it would take a much longer post. And if you're Russian you must be fifth column or a navalny acolyte. Because very few people in Russia dislike Putin. The more those nato eurocrats attack him, the more his electorate supports him.

You can say what you want about the guy but the numbers speak for themselves. I'm talking economic facts here not biased personal opinions.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markadomanis/2012/07/26/russias-economic-growth-in-comparison-with-the-g7/

BadMan
01-30-15, 15:40
Okay. Now I'm. Just trolling.

Rev BS
02-11-15, 16:18
http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/news/472233/household-debt-keeps-thailand-southeast-asia-sick-man

The corporate virus has been spreading for quite a few decades now, and the tipping point has arrived in Thailand. More malls are sprouting along Sukhumvit Road and elsewhere. Some call it progress & development, but is it really? Escalators & air-conditioning are nice, so are better toilet facilities. Other than that, who needs all the junk in the stores. Dehumanization & popular culture are its main features. And then there is the illusion that life is better just because you are on Facebook and have a Coach bag.

El Perro
02-11-15, 20:08
http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/news/472233/household-debt-keeps-thailand-southeast-asia-sick-man

The corporate virus has been spreading for quite a few decades now, and the tipping point has arrived in Thailand. More malls are sprouting along Sukhumvit Road and elsewhere. Some call it progress & development, but is it really? Escalators & air-conditioning are nice, so are better toilet facilities. Other than that, who needs all the junk in the stores. Dehumanization & popular culture are its main features. And then there is the illusion that life is better just because you are on Facebook and have a Coach bag.I yearn for the days of lawyers, guns and money. Now its banks and real estate developers. And of course bent politicians. They never go out of style.

Rev BS
02-28-15, 22:33
http://www2.bangkokpost.com/news/general/485622/nemtsov-murder-theories-abound

What a joke! Great abestos salesman.

Anwar Ibrahim, Malaysian opposition party leader, convicted on sodomy charges had his appeal denied by the Supreme Court and sentenced to 5 years prison. Already 67 years old, it kind of put him onto pasture. And the list goes on with ruling governments running over opposition parties & leaders.

But top of the list is the thug, Vladimir Putin. Within some AP circles, he is admired for his strongman antics as he is portray as wagging Obama's tail. Nothing could be further from the truth. Some Russians are having to eat borscht now with no cabbage. And Pattaya's economy is suffering heart palpitations from the absence of Russians overnight, rudely interrupted by Obama's sleight of hand.

Yes, the trash talks continues about Obama's foreign policy. Muslims killing Christians! Read some real history, man. That Foxy propaganda, sensationalized for ratings, nothing else.

Rev BS
03-05-15, 08:57
http://trove.com/a/Decades-of-human-waste-have-made-Mount-Everest-a-%E2%80%98fecal-time-bomb%E2%80%99.oLG17?chid=187014&_p=full-channel-head%5B1%5D

Humanity given enough time will ultimately destroy their environment & themselves. Why so? Because of the inability to understand the "Greater Good" concept. So now Mt Everest is a cesspool. But who cares.

Rev BS
03-12-15, 18:38
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2015/03/11/the_falling_euro_sure_it_s_great_for_europe_but_what_about_the_u_s.html

2015, The Year of the American Traveler.

If you are not collecting welfare, then you are in luck with seeing the world, particularly Europe. Never has the Euro been this low since it was introduced in 1999. Whilst it is still not quite the Vietnamese Dong yet, you should take advantage of this crisis to see Europe. Avoid the trendy cities like Rome or Paris and expensive countries like Switzerland and Scandinavia, and you will have the time of your life. Go to Latvia, Estonia or Serbia and Albania. Or even Turkey for getting the most value out of your dollar.

But why should I go to these countries, I might as well as go to Detroit!! Because it will open your eyes, and improve your perspective. And because it is 2015, not 1927. You got that?

Never have I seen international airfares with so much value. And the European budget airlines have fares that seem cheaper than buses. Americans travel extensively, but going to places like Cabo San Lucas and the Bahamas, and you end up more stupid than before you went. And pretending to be high rollers playing golf in Hawaii and and the Caribbean only put Americans into more credit indebtedness.

Anyway, just enjoy, you will never have it so good for the rest of your life.

Rev BS
03-13-15, 22:05
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2015/03/13/the_states_where_second_marriages_are_most_common_we_ve_mapped_them_f

Or the Bible Belt as it is also known. Now I am not going to claim I know anything about the South. Other than a couple of visits fo Texas, Louisiana and Florida.

Much more slow drawn, friendlier, poorer. Bar-be-Q, NASCAR, Confederate flags. Stereotyping here.

You would think family would be supremely important?

Jackson
03-16-15, 16:14
...Americans travel extensively, but going to places like Cabo San Lucas and the Bahamas, and you end up more stupid than before you went. And pretending to be high rollers playing golf in Hawaii and and the Caribbean only put Americans into more credit indebtedness.Yet another back-handed racist slap by Rev BS against white American men as he once again gleefully decries the what he believes is their inevitable extinction.

Rev, I'm going to start calling you out on this racist hate-speech every time I see it.

Enough is enough.

Thanks,

Jax.

Dickhead
03-16-15, 19:22
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2015/03/11/the_falling_euro_sure_it_s_great_for_europe_but_what_about_the_u_s.html

Never has the Euro been this low since it was introduced in 1999. Bzzt. Wrong. Completely incorrect. The low was about 83 cents. I was there at the time. It was awesome. I know you are not big on facts, but that statement was particularly dumb.

http://www.oanda.com/currency/historical-rates/

Gauntlet77
03-16-15, 22:30

2015, The Year of the American Traveler.

If you are not collecting welfare, then you are in luck with seeing the world, particularly Europe. Never has the Euro been this low since it was introduced in 1999. Whilst it is still not quite the Vietnamese Dong yet, you should take advantage of this crisis to see Europe. Avoid the trendy cities like Rome or Paris and expensive countries like Switzerland and Scandinavia, and you will have the time of your life. Go to Latvia, Estonia or Serbia and Albania. Or even Turkey for getting the most value out of your dollar.

But why should I go to these countries, I might as well as go to Detroit!! Because it will open your eyes, and improve your perspective. And because it is 2015, not 1927. You got that?

Never have I seen international airfares with so much value. And the European budget airlines have fares that seem cheaper than buses. Americans travel extensively, but going to places like Cabo San Lucas and the Bahamas, and you end up more stupid than before you went. And pretending to be high rollers playing golf in Hawaii and and the Caribbean only put Americans into more credit indebtedness.

Anyway, just enjoy, you will never have it so good for the rest of your life.Well, uh, there's a reason flying to the next Ukraine is cheap.

Personally I'd wait until Greece leaves or is kicked out of the Euro monetary union. The new drachma is likely going to be much cheaper than the Euro, if it is still standing. And Greece has got better weather, beaches, historical monuments and food!

ElAlamoPalermo
03-17-15, 00:09
Yet another back-handed racist slap by Rev BS against white American men as he once again gleefully decries the what he believes is their inevitable extinction.

Rev, I'm going to start calling you out on this racist hate-speech every time I see it.

Enough is enough.

Thanks,

Jax.Jackson must have been paying extra close attention to Fox News and the Rush Limbaugh Show recently, he has come up with some new material for his indisputably stale stock responses!!!! The next thing we know he will be trying to convince us (again) with a straight face that Obama was born in Kenya and that his ultimate goal is to turn the USA into a Muslim Caliphate!

Rev BS
03-17-15, 06:08
Yet another back-handed racist slap by Rev BS against white American men as he once again gleefully decries the what he believes is their inevitable extinction.

Enough is enough.

Thanks,

Jax. I support your honorable intention. But where in the post that you saw the word "white"? And "men".

And please point out the "hate" part.

Rev BS
03-17-15, 17:45
http://www.talkmarkets.com/content/us-markets/global-debt-spinning-out-of-control?post=60188&utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=referral

"Global debt cycles and credit booms have very long timelines. During this time, financial institutions forget the risk management lessons of the past and go for broke, hoping that by extending enough credit will lead to enough economic growth to repay the debts.".

Recently, I have been receiving a wave of new bank and credit offers for new accounts by all the major banks. Very tempting. Somebody I know who has a failing business got a call from a bank representative offering him exactly that just because he happen to have 2 or 3 accounts with said bank in different countries, it seem that the low bank balance in each account was not taken into account. He is now on a spending spree.

Jackson
03-17-15, 17:55
I support your honorable intention. But where in the post that you saw the word "white"? And "men".

And please point out the "hate" part.Hey Rev,

Of course, like any polished racist, you are a very subtle and would never use any racist buzz words.

Nevertheless, from your writings it is obvious that you are a racist and anti-American, and I'm calling you out on it at every turn.

Thanks,

Jax.

Jackson
03-17-15, 18:00
http://www.talkmarkets.com/content/us-markets/global-debt-spinning-out-of-control?post=60188&utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=referral

"Global debt cycles and credit booms have very long timelines. During this time, financial institutions forget the risk management lessons of the past and go for broke, hoping that by extending enough credit will lead to enough economic growth to repay the debts.".

Recently, I have been receiving a wave of new bank and credit offers for new accounts by all the major banks. Very tempting. Somebody I know who has a failing business got a call from a bank representative offering him exactly that just because he happen to have 2 or 3 accounts with said bank in different countries, it seem that the low bank balance in each account was not taken into account. He is now on a spending spree.Here's a good example of the Rev's anti-American bias.

The title of his post poses an open question "Who do you think leads the world in debt?" deliberately implying that the answer is of course the Americans, when in fact the linked article does not even address the question he posed.

Enough with the anti-American racism!

Thanks,

Jax.

ElAlamoPalermo
03-17-15, 18:37
Here's a good example of the Rev's anti-American bias.

The title of his post poses an open question "Who do you think leads the world in debt?" deliberately implying that the answer is of course the Americans, when in fact the linked article does not even address the question he posed.

Enough with the anti-American racism!

Thanks,

Jax."American" is NOT a race or ethnicity.

Jackson
03-17-15, 18:46
"American" is NOT a race or ethnicity.No problem. Let me fix that for the English Literature professors in our midsts.

Here's a good example of the Rev's anti-American bias.

Enough with the racist, anti-American comments!

Thanks,

Jax.

Rev BS
03-17-15, 18:58
What Putin says, it has to be true. So it is with Jackson. But it is his domain. He can say & do whatever he wants. I can
leave or I can stay.

His Doberman has been snapping on my heels for a long time. So this is not a surprise to me. I shall leave it at that.

Jackson
03-17-15, 19:47
What Putin says, it has to be true. So it is with Jackson. But it is his domain. He can say & do whatever he wants. I can leave or I can stay.

His Doberman has been snapping on my heels for a long time. So this is not a surprise to me. I shall leave it at that.Putin has noting to do with it. All anyone has to do is read a few of your posts to see the pattern of racist, anti-American drivel you've been posting for a long time.

Rev BS
03-17-15, 20:08
You say it, and it has to be true. Like everything you have said about Obama.

But I don't even take this personally. I came into the AP forum and the bunker mentality with my eyes wide open.

Let it be said once and for all: I am pro-American & anti-American on different issues. Some I have a stake in,
others just for conversation pieces. In any case, they are just opinions. Either you like it or you don't, but
tarring people means you just want them to go away.

Very Putin like, if I may make the comparison again.

Rocky2
03-17-15, 21:09
You say it, and it has to be true. Like everything you have said about Obama.

But I don't even take this personally. I came into the AP forum and the bunker mentality with my eyes wide open.

Let it be said once and for all: I am pro-American & antt-American on different issues. Some I have a stake in,
others just for conversation pieces. In any case, they are just opinions. Either you like it or you don't, but
tarring people means you just want them to go away.

Very Putin like, if I may make the comparison again.I thought that you left.

Rev BS
03-17-15, 21:16
I thought that you left.It's in the contemplation stage. Nowhere did I say I was leaving. Typical of the attack dogs, that at first sniff, they go crazy.

You have your rabies shot yet?

Rev BS
03-18-15, 11:44
[Deleted by Admin]

EDITOR'S NOTE: This report was redacted or deleted to remove sections of the report that were largely argumentative. Please read the Forum FAQ and the Forum's Posting Guidelines for more information. Thank You!

Jackson
03-18-15, 13:02
Would you be offended if I labeled you the white Al Sharpton.Yet another racist, anti-American comment.

That's one.

Jax.

Rev BS
03-19-15, 09:17
Well, uh, there's a reason flying to the next Ukraine is cheap.

Personally I'd wait until Greece leaves or is kicked out of the Euro monetary union. The new drachma is likely going to be much cheaper than the Euro, if it is still standing.

And Greece has got better weather, beaches, historical monuments and food!By far along with Air India, Air Ukraine has some of the cheapest air fares on the Bangkok-Europe routing. With a hub stop in Kiev both ways, it would have been an ideal mongering stop not too long ago. As it is, if I was solo, I would chance it. Plenty of upside for the brave of cock.

Rev BS
04-08-15, 03:08
Iran is the historical big player in the Middle East, whether you like it or not. Like China in the Pacific sphere. As we know, North Korea's antics are only allowed because it benefits China.

So Taiwan understands this. No talk of a separate China for now or ELSE! At least not until a new generation of Mainland China leaders emerge in the next few decades. Meanwhile Taiwanese prosper and enjoy a far higher standard of living than the Mainland.

There is a great deal of emotional "guilt" over Israel. Aah, why didn't the Austrian leave them alone! Or why did Congress drag their feet? Germany should have been forced to give Bavaria to the Jews! So much Monday quarterbacking. Yes, we did make a pledge to Israel & Taiwan after WW II. So we are committed, and we are. But we need to tell that Nena? Guy to sit down and button his shirt. Like Obama is doing. You don't run our show.

We have given China the respect they deserve except for a few guys in AP. Pragmatism, like Lee Kuan Yew has shown leads to respect. And mutual respect leads to less tension and understanding. Propping Saudi Arabia because of oil has run its course. Iran has history on its side. The hawks still like to pretend that the world has not evolve but that is only because it hurt their pockets directly. But that is the players talking. It's a money game except for the ignorant blind machos that follow them. They like to call themselves patriots.

Meanwhile, the Big O has to run the country with his hands tied behind his back.

BadMan
04-08-15, 09:47
Can't believe I missed all the recent fun in this thread. Ill only say this. You can love your country and hate what your government has done to it. These things aren't mutually exclusive. The founding father's didn't become so by towing the government du jour' party line. The U.S. Was founded on dissent ( well kinda but I won't ruin it for you ) and as such it is AMERICAN to be able to criticize your government, its policies and your countries resulting waywardness. If not, what kind of democracy are we talking about? ( Well it's actually a constitutional republic, scratch that " representative " democracy, scratch that, oligarchy, nope, kleptocracy, hmmm. Ill stop there. ) Anyway. Let's not get caught up on facts and details. A country of idiot yes men will always descend into tyranny. Read Plato's Republic. In particular the part about Five Regimes. And get a clue.

Have any " Americans " here actually read the writings of the founding fathers or those who immediately followed them ? Franklin, Washington, Jefferson, Jackson, Lincoln et al?

They would all be rolling in their graves if they saw what their country has become and what their countrymen have allowed.

Jackson. I would suggest you read up on your namesake a bit. He was many things, some quite detestable but stupid he was not. And for good or bad he was a true patriot. In particular I'd read up on the Bank War he waged.

http://thehermitage.com/learn/andrew-jackson/jacksons-papers/

Ill leave you with this quote :

" You are a den of vipers and thieves. I intend to rout you out, and by the grace of the Eternal God, will rout you out. ".

And knowing is half the battle...

BadMan
04-09-15, 00:08
The RUB is the best performing currency of the year. It's up 19% against the dollar. Forex traders who were long the RUB made quite a few pips betting against the trolls. Might want to reschedule that summer vacation.

Any one who actually understands politics and markets and real analysis want to take a stab at it? Nobody with Putin derangement syndrome will do. See attached pic below.

Anyway. I have much new found respect for Nabiullina. She stabilised the RUB while sanctions were being piled on and didn't resort to selling forex reserves, didn't lower the interest rate. On the contrary she raised them. And she also didn't resort to QE. She bled the speculators dry. Quite brilliant to say the least.

Just an update. More to come.

Sure, I'll take a stab at it: continued devaluation vs both the dollar and the Euro through the end of the year.

Trust me when I tell you, not one EU commissioner lost a second of sleep.

Trust me.

Can't wait for my summer trip, when the Ruble should right around 80 to the Dollar.

Rev BS
04-17-15, 12:15
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/04/17/a-hungry-gwyneth-paltrow-fails-the-food-stamp-challenge-four-days-in/?tid=pm_pop

Living on food stamps, $29 per day. Well, I do not know the restrictions of food stamps, so my comments are somewhat skewed. But I believe I can live more than well on $29 per person per day. Honestly, you only need 1 solid meal per day. But the general population shop according to their addictions.

BadMan
04-17-15, 20:41
Greece is about to be proper fcuked.

Easy Go
04-18-15, 16:11
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/04/17/a-hungry-gwyneth-paltrow-fails-the-food-stamp-challenge-four-days-in/?tid=pm_pop

Living on food stamps, $29 per day. Well, I do not know the restrictions of food stamps, so my comments are somewhat skewed. But I believe I can live more than well on $29 per person per day. Honestly, you only need 1 solid meal per day. But the general population shop according to their addictions.$29 is the average for a week, not a day. Living "more than well" on $4/day is a bit more challenging.

Rev BS
04-18-15, 22:41
$29 is the average for a week, not a day. Living "more than well" on $4/day is a bit more challenging.Definitely, $29 per week will be impossible for the 99%. The 1% might make ii but not well for sure.

The next time I splurge $20 on a meal, I am going to spank myself.

BadMan
04-20-15, 14:14
I knew this couldn't be good.

ATHENS (Reuters) - Greece ordered its public sector operations on Monday to transfer idle cash to the central bank in a scramble to meets its needs in the run-up to IMF loan repayments next month.

Greece has been tapping into the cash reserves of pension funds and other public money in temporary transactions.

The latest demand shows how extreme the financial constraints on Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras have become as he tries to convince foreign creditors to extend new financial aid.

Damn you Krugman. I thought you said debt didn't matter?

Greece is about to be proper fcuked.

Big Boss Man
04-20-15, 23:44
I knew this couldn't be good.

Damn you Krugman. I thought you said debt didn't matter?Wasn't capital structure irrelevance Modigliani and Miller's theory? Of course, they made a bunch of simplifying assumptions to make the math easy. And they were referring to the private firm.

Is there a similar theorem for public finance?

Krugman does argue that austerity does not work. The Greek lenders want austerity to be the official policy in Greece. The Greeks are fighting against it.

Rev BS
04-21-15, 22:35
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/536583/thailand-drops-in-global-tourism-rankings

Thailand, highly dependent on tourism saw it's tourism destination ranking dipped in 2014. It was expected as the country had negative vibes during the political upheavals in Bangkok for much of the year. Europe and the US continued to be the top popular destinations.

So where will you go in 2015? You would think that AP would have stimulating discussion concerning travel but it seems nobody travels, or maybe, they are just shy.

Bobby Doerr
04-22-15, 10:34
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/536583/thailand-drops-in-global-tourism-rankings

Thailand, highly dependent on tourism saw it's tourism destination ranking dipped in 2014. It was expected as the country had negative vibes during the political upheavals in Bangkok for much of the year. Europe and the US continued to be the top popular destinations.

So where will you go in 2015? You would think that AP would have stimulating discussion concerning travel but it seems nobody travels, or maybe, they are just shy.Looking over the AP board for the last month, I am beginning to wonder why the fuck any monger would travel to BA? Stinken politics, dumb guys bidding up the price for pussy, clubs disappearing, chica attitude, exchange rate declining, etc. Sounds like the perfect place not to go. Are things going to get worse?

Daddy Rulz
04-22-15, 11:13
Looking over the AP board for the last month, I am beginning to wonder why the fuck any monger would travel to BA? Stinken politics, dumb guys bidding up the price for pussy, clubs disappearing, chica attitude, exchange rate declining, etc. Sounds like the perfect place not to go. Are things going to get worse?I've been saying it for over a year, BsAs isn't the short time destination it used to be. If you want to travel somewhere for a week to ten days and fuck a lot then Germany with the FKK's is the place to go, not here.

If you live here and can say, fuck off, to a lot of chicks and can wait until you find the ones that aren't infected with GPS, then it's great.

Maybe once Argentina's economy is worse than the US but clearly better than Paraguay and Brazil for a year or so and the blue rate jumps a bit maybe then, but for now it's really not that great for a short vacation. You can get laid cheaper in the states.

Big Boss Man
04-22-15, 11:31
Looking over the AP board for the last month, I am beginning to wonder why the fuck any monger would travel to BA? Stinken politics, dumb guys bidding up the price for pussy, clubs disappearing, chica attitude, exchange rate declining, etc. Sounds like the perfect place not to go. Are things going to get worse?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU9d4ukTNRY

Just try to stay away.

Tres3
04-22-15, 18:15
Looking over the AP board for the last month, I am beginning to wonder why the fuck any monger would travel to BA? Stinken politics, dumb guys bidding up the price for pussy, clubs disappearing, chica attitude, exchange rate declining, etc. Sounds like the perfect place not to go. Are things going to get worse?BA used to be a monger's paradise as well as a place to drop some serious money in the clubs. I do not care what country you go to, there will always be dumb and/or drunk guys bidding up the price of pussy. Unfortunately, Argentine girls try to get the high price of their last fuck, and do not understand that everyone is not dumb and/or drunk. A lot of that has changed in the last year, and the good looking, easy pussy is probably a thing of the past--at least for the short term visitor who does not speak any Spanish. HOWEVER, it is still an inexpensive place to fuck good looking, young, cheap pussy. You just have to work harder for it. The food is good, if you like steak, and the politics do not really bother someone from another country. In fact, we gringos continue to marvel that the country still functions, but we do not think like Argentines either. The bottom line is that as long as Argentine men like to fuck, and as long as a hooker can make decent money selling her pussy, Argentina will be a good place to go. I gave up on the night club scene long ago, but my pussy budget (in dollars) has not changed since 2002 (I do not live here), and I get all the pussy I want. Safety is also relative. In any big foreign city, an American usually sticks out like a sore thumb. If you do not keep your wits about you, you are just asking to become another victim. That is not restricted to Argentina. It is the same the world over.

Tres3.

Rev BS
04-25-15, 05:20
Bill Gates has a message for the world.

http://www.gatesnotes.com/Books/Should-We-Eat-Meat?WT.mc_id=04_21_2015_VaclavMeat_OB&WT.tsrc=Outbrain

Esten
04-29-15, 02:10
There has been some occasional discussion of stocks before in this thread, I'm surprised there isn't more. I'll throw out another one for fun.

Some of you were discussing LINE. Just checked the chart and man did it get pummeled. Looks like it is recovering but I'm staying away as I just don't understand the company or industry well. Too much uncertainty in the oil & gas sector, especially with debt and debt covenants etc. LINE reports tomorrow and the analysts are really keeping the estimates low at -0.201 average consensus, which would be the poorest quarter in years. Who knows. Another interesting one is Ecopetrol (EC), which also got crushed but financials look better than LINE (Net Income Avail to Common and Leveraged Free Cash Flow are positive, unlike LINE). One company in this sector I did feel comfortable enough to buy was CLB, got in below 100 which was ridiculous and cashed out nicely, though still too early.

One company I've been following recently is Fossil (FOSL). Was already in and out in the low 80's at a small profit. Now back in again at average ~ 82. It got whacked in February by missing estimates and lowering guidance, but like above the analysts are really lowballing the next quarter. However unlike Oil & Gas, consumer spending data is more visible and holding up well. I own a few hundred and will hold most through earnings on 5/5.

EPS
2012 Q1 0.93
2013 Q1 1.21
2014 Q1 1.22
2015 Q1 0.63 Average estimate seems low given consumer spending data, though could be factoring in FX and restructuring charges.

Big Boss Man
05-01-15, 13:50
There has been some occasional discussion of stocks before in this thread, I'm surprised there isn't more. I'll throw out another one for fun.

Some of you were discussing LINE. Just checked the chart and man did it get pummeled. Looks like it is recovering but I'm staying away as I just don't understand the company or industry well. Too much uncertainty in the oil & gas sector, especially with debt and debt covenants etc. LINE reports tomorrow and the analysts are really keeping the estimates low at -0.201 average consensus, which would be the poorest quarter in years. Who knows. Another interesting one is Ecopetrol (EC), which also got crushed but financials look better than LINE (Net Income Avail to Common and Leveraged Free Cash Flow are positive, unlike LINE). One company in this sector I did feel comfortable enough to buy was CLB, got in below 100 which was ridiculous and cashed out nicely, though still too earl.

That's the trouble with discussing stocks in blogs. I have no obligation to tell you what I am doing. I sold my LINE no where near the top but it was still a good investment for me. ROI way over the rate of return I target which is 3% real rate of return. Of course, the difference between the top and where I sold it was probably a fun trip where to BA where I did not paying night club prices and further driving Daddy Rulz crazy. Easy come easy go. I don't remember anybody that I read last summer that had oil prices at the current $58 a barrel. If you had it, congratulations.

One that I recommended last June after my May trip as a play on Argentina was Industrial & Commercial Bank of China. IDBCY. I think they bought all the HSBC branches. China of course wants Argentina's natural resources. Also I live in Los Angeles where I have seen first hand what Chinese money can do to an economy. I was trying to draw an analogy between LA and BA. I have a nice 35% 1-year gain in this one. I was just in Hong Kong and Bangkok and IDBCY has a big presence in both those places. However I am thinking of taking things off the table here. My girlfriend was in Shanghai where all her friends were buying stocks. That's probably the biggest factor behind IDBCY. I always say if you are at the car wash waiting for your car to be detailed and people are talking investments it is time to sell. It is probably true of Argentina Private blogs also.

Esten
05-02-15, 15:16
That's the trouble with discussing stocks in blogs. I have no obligation to tell you what I am doing. I sold my LINE no where near the top but it was still a good investment for me. ROI way over the rate of return I target which is 3% real rate of return. Of course, the difference between the top and where I sold it was probably a fun trip where to BA where I did not paying night club prices and further driving Daddy Rulz crazy. Easy come easy go. I don't remember anybody that I read last summer that had oil prices at the current $58 a barrel. If you had it, congratulations.Last time I mentioned a stock was back in 2013. I was out of the market most of 2014 as I had other financial plans. Got back in January 2015 with modest goals and am doing well. 16 closed trades YTD, 15 profitable. Average gain per trade 10%, total net gain 50%. Since losing my ass several years ago I changed my perspective and approach. No, I did not see where oil was headed. Glad to hear you sold LINE before the carnage. Looks like you did nicely on IDCBY too.

I have a different perspective BBM. I am interested in what the readers here have to say about the market, and in fact think the information here is likely to be of decent quality, since AP is not by any means an obvious place to shill about stocks. Just because somebody here mentioned a stock doesn't mean it's time to sell. There is much to be said for the contrarian view, but as with politics, critical thinking is always a must.

Anways do not take anything I say as "advice" ! I just tossed a name (and some analysis) out there for fun. Would be fun to have a little stock picking contest....

Rev BS
05-04-15, 05:43
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2015/05/pope_francis_ban_ki_moon_climate_change_talks_renewed_faith_from_vatican.html

As you walk around the city & your own neighborhood, you are sometimes disgusted by the actions of your neighbors and fellow.

Citizens. There are trash & dog shit left by callous & selfish people. What to do. But maybe first, how about ourselves?

Rev BS
05-10-15, 19:56
That was from the link in the previous post. And now on to Milan Expo 2015 which opened on May 1. "Feeding the planet.

Energy for life". A global dialogue for hunger, obesity, and food security. A commitment to not wasting food & water, and.

To play an active role in building a sustainable world.

Too much activitism for you? Well, maybe, just an good excuse to visit Milan, as well as the lake & wine scene.

http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21650446-italys-global-exposition-reflects-cautious-optimism-countrys-turnaround-fair-performance

Rev BS
05-12-15, 20:21
So Verizon buys AOL, and you think it does not affect you?

Well, in Bangkok, 7-11s are everywhere. Which is good in that you can use them for heat relief as you walk.

Around. Not only do you buy your everyday necessities, you can also pay.

Your utility bills there, as well as get a SIM card for your phone. In fact, it actually can meet all.

Your needs in a fast paced city environment. But no restroom facilities, still not quite perfect. But behind.

All the bright lights and smiling cashiers, there is an powerful force that tramples everything in its path.

Think Walmart. How do you escape, or do you want to escape?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/559823/agro-giant-needs-to-listen-to-the-people

Rev BS
05-18-15, 20:40
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/19/business/international/singpost-reinvents-for-digital-age-of-ecommerce.html?_r=0

BadMan
06-14-15, 00:16
[Deleted by Admin]

EDITOR'S NOTE: This report was redacted or deleted to remove sections of the report that were largely argumentative. Please read the Forum FAQ and the Forum's Posting Guidelines for more information. Thank You!

WorldTravel69
07-22-15, 13:20
A review in Civics for those of us who forgot our lessons:

This is about as clear and easy to understand as it can be. The article below is completely neutral, not anti republican or democrat. Charlie Reese, a retired reporter for the Orlando Sentinel has hit the nail directly on the head, defining clearly who it is that in the final analysis must assume responsibility for the judgments made that impact each one of us every day. It's a short but good read. Worth the time. Worth remembering!

545 vs. 300,000,000.

EVERY CITIZEN NEEDS TO READ THIS AND THINK ABOUT WHAT THIS JOURNALIST HAS SCRIPTED IN THIS MESSAGE. READ IT AND THEN REALLY THINK ABOUT OUR CURRENT POLITICAL DEBACLE.

Charley Reese has been a journalist for 49 years.

545 PEOPLE--By Charlie Reese.

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them..

Have you ever wondered, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, WHY do we have deficits?

Have you ever wondered, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, WHY do we have inflation and high taxes?

You and I don't propose a federal budget. The president does.

You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does.

You and I don't write the tax code, Congress does.

You and I don't set fiscal policy, Congress does.

You and I don't control monetary policy, the Federal Reserve Bank does.

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president, and nine Supreme Court justices equates to 545 human beings out of the 300 million are directly, legally, morally, and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.

I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered, but private, central bank.

I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason. They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman, or a president to do one cotton-picking thing. I don't care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it. No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator's responsibility to determine how he votes.

Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.

What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall. No normal human being would have the gall of a Speaker, who stood up and criticized the President for creating deficits..... The president can only propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept it.

The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving appropriations and taxes. Who is the speaker of the House? John Boehner. He is the leader of the majority party. He and fellow House members, not the president, can approve any budget they want. If the president vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto if they agree to.

It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million cannot replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts -- of incompetence and irresponsibility. I can't think of a single domestic problem that is not traceable directly to those 545 people. When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise the power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.

If the tax code is unfair, it's because they want it unfair.

If the budget is in the red, it's because they want it in the red ..

If the Army & Marines are in IRAQ , it's because they want them in IRAQ.

If they do not receive social security but are on an elite retirement plan not available to the people, it's because they want it that way.

There are no insoluble government problems.

Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power. Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces like "the economy," "inflation," or "politics" that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.

Those 545 people and they alone, are responsible.

They and they alone, have the power.

They and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses.

Provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees...

We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess!

Charlie Reese is a former columnist of the Orlando Sentinel Newspaper.

This might be funny if it weren't so darned true.

Be sure to read all the way to the end:

Tax his land.

Tax his bed.

Tax the table.

At which he's fed.

Tax his tractor.

Tax his mule.

Teach him taxes.

Are the rule.

Tax his work.

Tax his pay.

He works for peanuts.

Anyway!

Tax his cow.

Tax his goat.

Tax his pants.

Tax his coat.

Tax his ties.

Tax his shirt.

Tax his work.

Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco.

Tax his drink.

Tax him if he tries to think.

Tax his cigars.

Tax his beers.

If he cries Tax his tears.

Tax his car.

Tax his gas.

Find other ways.

To tax his ass.

Tax all he has.

Then let him know.

That you won't be done.

Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers;.

Then tax him some more.

Tax him till.

He's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin.

Tax his grave.

Tax the sod in.

Which he's laid...

Put these words.

Upon his tomb.

Taxes drove me.

To my doom...'.

When he's gone.

Do not relax.

Its time to apply.

The inheritance tax..

Accounts Receivable Tax.

Building Permit Tax.

CDL license Tax.

Cigarette Tax.

Corporate Income Tax.

Dog License Tax.

Excise Taxes.

Federal Income Tax.

Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA).

Fishing License Tax.

Food License Tax.

Fuel Permit Tax.

Gasoline Tax (currently 44.75 cents per gallon)Gross Receipts Tax.

Hunting License Tax.

Inheritance Tax.

Inventory Tax.

IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)Liquor Tax.

Luxury Taxes.

Marriage License Tax.

Medicare Tax.

Personal Property Tax.

Property Tax.

Real Estate Tax.

Service Charge Tax.

Social Security Tax.

Road Usage Tax.

Recreational Vehicle Tax.

Sales Tax.

School Tax.

State Income Tax.

State Unemployment Tax (SUTA).

Telephone Federal Excise Tax.

Telephone Federal Universal Service FeeTax.

Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes.

Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax.

Telephone Recurring and Nonrecurring Charges Tax.

Telephone State and Local Tax.

Telephone Usage Charge Tax.

Utility Taxes.

Vehicle License Registration Tax.

Vehicle Sales Tax.

Watercraft Registration Tax.

Well Permit Tax.

Workers Compensation Tax.

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY? Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, & our nation was the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What happened? Can you spell 'politicians?'.

Dickhead
07-22-15, 15:05
What a tool. Inflation has been running below target for a long time. The income tax did, in fact, exist 100 years ago (it was imposed during the Civil War, during the 1890s, and was made permanent in 1913). Before the income tax, revenue was raised through tariffs and customs duties, which has been conclusively proven to make all parties worse off by ignoring the doctrine of comparative advantage. And, 100 years ago, the life expectancy at birth was 49, due in part to things like no Social Security, Medicare, or workers' compensation.

Jackson
07-22-15, 15:47
A review in Civics for those of us who forgot our lessons:

This is about as clear and easy to understand as it can be. The article below is completely neutral, not anti republican or democrat. Charlie Reese, a retired reporter for the Orlando Sentinel has hit the nail directly on the head, defining clearly who it is that in the final analysis must assume responsibility for the judgments made that impact each one of us every day. It's a short but good read. Worth the time. Worth remembering!

545 vs. 300,000,000...WT,

I'm surprised to see you posted this as I had long assumed that as a committed liberal you had never met a tax paid by "other people" that you didn't like.

Thanks,

Jax

Dickhead
07-22-15, 16:33
It's also worth mentioning that the 'tariffs' and 'customs duties' that funded the federal government in the 19th century are nothing more than taxes with a different name, except they are even more inefficient.

HotRod11
08-13-17, 07:09
It has been a few months since I have been to BA. I now find Brazil more interesting. BUT . WOW, looking at the posts on BA I am in shock. So what the fuck is going on. I find no recent entries for anything that is worth readings. I am coming back to SA on my next international trip and BA is now my destination. I can't wait to spend an evening at EXEDRA. After 10pm when all the hooker line up at the front window. If this does not happen well I will guess I will catch the next flight to RIO.

Member #3320
08-13-17, 15:25
It has been a few months since I have been to BA. I now find Brazil more interesting. BUT . WOW, looking at the posts on BA I am in shock. So what the fuck is going on. I find no recent entries for anything that is worth readings. I am coming back to SA on my next international trip and BA is now my destination. I can't wait to spend an evening at EXEDRA. After 10pm when all the hooker line up at the front window. If this does not happen well I will guess I will catch the next flight to RIO.Do not come to BA for mongering.

If you want to eat meat and drink wine - come here.

If u want to meet women, go somewhere else.

Shawman
06-25-19, 21:08
Apparently an ocean of oil has been found in patagonia.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dead-cow-finally-produces-oil-100000719.html

Will make any meaningful difference or just a glimmer of hope? ...or will the govt piss this opportunity away like it has with everything else?

Questner
06-26-19, 00:40
Apparently an ocean of oil has been found in patagonia.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dead-cow-finally-produces-oil-100000719.html

Will make any meaningful difference or just a glimmer of hope? ...or will the govt piss this opportunity away like it has with everything else?And go deeper into debt.